Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

class D and class AB for Rf power amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirashah

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
why class D amplifier cant be used for Rf frequencies?, and how class AB produce pulses?

Class D amplifiers are used for most solid state Medium Wave transmitters. To get pulses out of a class AB amp, just overdrive it. Why you should bother I can't fathom, use class C instead.
Frank

well i cant use class c because i want linear amplification.

Class C is called linear PA
you can also try saturation Class A

What kind of pulses you want to amplify linearly?

Class-A,AB,B, and C are transconductance amplifiers and included in linear range PAs. Among these amplifiers Class-C has highest efficiency but lowest linearity. There is a trade-off between linearity and efficiency. For high efficiency you can choose switch-mode amplifiers which are unlinear basically, such as class-D,E and S. I guess since Class-D does not employ the parasitic drain-source(collector-emmiter) capacitance, it is not suitable for high frequencies. Class-E is more efficient and simpler comparing to class-D. If you want to amplify a amplitude-modulated signal, you can use "envelope elimination and restortion technique" in a class-E PA.
For your second question, class-AB are biased to pass a part of signal less than 360 degrees (as linear class A do) and higher that 180 degrees (as class-B do).So this class is more linear than class-B and more efficint than class-A. the output signal then is filtered using series RLC filter to obtain clear sine wave.

Status
Not open for further replies.