Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sampling audio with a pic microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

engineerhmm

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i'm working on a small project with PIC18f4550. i must acquire a sound signal, compress it ( by adpcm ) and then send the data via USB for further treatment...

well actually i'm having a problem in sampling the signal. currently my audio input is from the headphones jack in my laptop... when i run a simple sound, i can measure a maximum of 0.6V on my PIC... (Vref+ and Vref- are Vdd & Vss)

I'm using microchip's library for ADPCM (AN643) the compression encoding functions takes a 16-bit signed number (speech sample, 32767 to -32768) and returns 8-bit number containing the 4-bit ADPCM code.

well what should i do now? should i offset the sample by 2.5V and amplify it? will that work?

and what circuits should i use ? for offsetting and amplifying this signal? and by what ratios?

i'm sampling at a 8Khz frequenct... pic's ADC resolution is 10 bits

Status
Not open for further replies.