Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Chirp Z-Transform Algorithm - Applications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zia.newversion

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am studying Digital Signal Processing as an Engineering Course and the teacher came up with this assignment to present a practical application of the Chirp Z-Transform.

Now I know what it is... But I have no idea how it can be used practically in field. I have been Googling it and all I can find is definition and detail of Chirp Z-Transform. After a lot of searching, I have come to the conclusion that it is better to ask a human than wasting my time with string-matching search engines.

Now I know how the learned community at EDA Board feels about putting someone's homework up on the forum. But actually, this is not only my homework. I admit that when I started searching for it, it was only for the assignment and I wanted to get rid of with as soon as possible, whilst achieving a better grade.

But, as of now, I am not concerned at all with the assignment. I am more curious about how this could be applied to other sciences such as MRI or image processing.

I shall need help from fellow members at EDA Board in respect of theoretical details on how this algorithm makes life easier by getting implemented practically.

Kindly, if anyone passes by this thread and he knows and/or worked a little with Chirp Z-Transform in real world, please care to comment. I shall be duly grateful, because I hope that this will not only help me gather better material for presentation, but also satisfy my curiosity in the mentioned topic.

A siren is a periodic chirp signal. Did you search for "chirp signal" in wikipedia, they are lot of applications for chirp signal

Yes, that is a Chirp Signal... No! I meant chirp z-transform. Here it is: Bluestein's FFT algorithm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bluestein's Algorithm is implemented to calculate z-transform of signals in a signal processor (like FFT)... But what could be done with the z-transform of a signal which signifies the use of that particular algorithm in calculating it. Strange question, ain't it. But that's it. :)

you can search it on google :)
zia.newversion...
:):):):):):)

Hi zia.newversion,

Standard DFT or FFT compute z-transform at a number of poins equally spaced on the unit circle.
Suppose you need to compute the DFT, not at all that points, but in a subset of points equaly spaced (but not covering all the unit circle).
In that case the chirp-z transform is a solution.
That is needed, for instance, because you know in advance that the signal has components only on a limited frequency band. Or because you are interested only in particular components.
Regards

Z

It has some useful applications in radar signal processing. I use is to look at time-domain (so it's actually the inverse chirp Z) data from stepped-frequency radar. you can basically zoom in on information of interest. There is of course, more to it than just the transform, but this is what I believe is done in Network Analyzers with time-domain option. If you've not used one before, you can look at the transform of the frequency data and adjust the time scale to look at finer details.

if anyone passes by this thread and he knows and/or worked a little with Chirp Z-Transform in real world, please care to comment. I shall be duly grateful, because I hope that this will not only help me gather better material for presentation, but also satisfy my curiosity in the mentioned topic.

led tube light

There are applications of Chirp Z for system identification. Look for example the book:

Identification Modeling and Characteristics of Miniature Rotorcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.