Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

seeking advice on the profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfndmw

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

To begin with, I know this is not the right place to post this but the reason I am doing it here is because I believe a lot of experienced people go through this part of the forum. I was hoping that someone could throw some light on the possibility of a lateral shift within the company. If I work in the post of an application engineer how possible is it for me to shift into a more of a hardware development role within the same organization? I have started working in 2009 and was working in a purely software profile. I've recently been given an opportunity to work for a semiconductor organization although as an application engineer which more like a support role..though technical..so I was just curious as to the possibility of moving into a hardware team later on..I'd be grateful if someone could advise..thank you..

You did not tell about the company. it depends on the company. I suppose moving to another field is depending on your area of liking. This answer to the question is purely dependent on the company nature of work. If you come to hardware side, it may be difficult to switch back to software down the lane. so think before you take any step. see if there is growth in the division where you are planning to shift. Hardware field is more challenging than software, and has lot of scope in the market.
But since this is begining of career ( i suppose) dont make it a habit of shifting roles too often as it will affect your career growth. from my experience i am telling

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The reason I took up a software job was because I could not find an opportunity in hardware. I am getting an opportunity in a company that works in hardware. Its one of those gigantic MNCs and eventually I want to be working in hardware. I agree to your advice of not changing jobs soon which is why I am in a dilemma. Should I go for this support kind of job and try to change teams later on or should just keep looking for a hardware profile?

If its a very big company then i dont find any problem in taking this step if i were in your place.
But my advice is listen to your consciousness and decide. Its no use asking for suggestion when it comes to shaping your career. we can give advice , but you need to take decision.

Later you will be answerable to the step you took not the forum members or friends who adviced you.

If you feel there is more oppurtunity. ask your friends and collegues who work in that domain. take their experience and decide rather than people outside your company may not be able to give you advce.

But my advice is listen to your consciousness and trust yourself

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 ----------

the correct person to advice you about your dilema is the HR of your company. Then know things like this.
Request them to help you out.

Reactions: rfndmw

rfndmw

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply. It certainly helped. I am sure that I eventually want to work in hardware. The only question was whether the path I was hoping to take is the right one. As far as opportunities go, its a little difficult to find an opening in hardware when you are a fresher or similar. Anyway, thanks for your advise.

PS: If anyone has anything to add, their thoughts would be welcome.

Getting a chance to work on hardware is good....
If it was other way, i.e.,working intially in harware & changing to software helps a lot, especially im talking about embedded..
Now you have the chance of learning hardware & try to keep sharpening your software skills too...
All the best...

Reactions: rfndmw

rfndmw

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back