Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High Voltage zeners brakedown current density versus total noise density relationship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a problem finding information on the subject of noise level relationship to current flowing through a HV zener in the breakdown mode.
Somehow the manufacturers don't elaborate on the noise issues in Zeners.

The only graph I found so far is Fig. 2 in the 5612568 patent.
I'd post a link to it, but I am new, so the system prevented me from posting direct link. It is on freepatentsonline website as 5612568.pdf

I also found a paper which might be interesting, but its paid per view so no luck here. ["Noise studies in internal field emission diodes"; G. Lecoya, R. Alabedraa and B. Barbana]

Elsewhere I read there is a significant noise increase at the very low levels of current however the current increase will also increase the noise levels. [exactly as shown in the graph in the patent mentioned previously]

So I am very interested in finding that current minimum - learning the optimal current value for a 200V zener so the noise is at the minimum. My application is basicaly a voltage reference circuit with a resistor in series so I can set it at any current I wish and it will stay there at all times. I suspect the minimum noise density might be around 250 microampers for a typical product like 2EZ200, 1N5388B, 1N5281B, 1N5956B, Z4KE200, ZGL41-200, BZX85-C200 - but I would prefer to be sure. Can anyone help?

The system finally allowed me to put a link here. The graph is Fig2 on page 2:

Low-noise zener diode

Similar graphs should be available for these Zeners.
But somehow it must be a National Safety trade secret - so again - did anyone see a graph like that for a HV Zener? I spent a lot of time looking with no success.

Status
Not open for further replies.