Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with 556 timer astable mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPPadula

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm trying to create an automotive flasher using a 556 timer (only using 2nd half layout was easier using second half, nothing done to any part of first half) Followed the standard schematics and am fairly certain I've got it wired properly. I tried using a 47uf and 22uf Capacitor and varying resistance values between 20k and 80k for R1 and R2 (I used the calculators and am trying to achieve around .5Hz with a 75% duty cycle) I'm using the output of the IC to drive a an automotive 80ohm coil relay directly and have installed diodes both across the coil and forward biased in the output to the coil. I have 470uf cap across the power supply for decoupling, and have tried a .1uf cap to ground on the control wire. The problem is that as soon as the power is applied, the relay coil latches and never oscillates. I dont own a scope, but on some of the pins (forgot which right now) I can see the charge discharge of the cap and the rate changes with the resistors being adjusted. Any advice on how to troubleshoot?

Disconnect the relay and look at the output of the timer. You don't say what the supply voltage is but my guess is the timer cannot supply enough output current.

Keith

Supply voltage is 14V. Voltage to relay (with relay connected) is 12.2. Particular timer I'm using is rated for 200ma, relay draws 150ma. Chip does not over heat. Relay does engage, but never disengages. I will measure with relay disconnected tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back