Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

atmega32 development board

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayanthyk192

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm building a development board for an atmega32 MC that i just bought.i found a schematic with which the MC can be programmed using USB or ISP.(see attached file)my question:is the board complete,i.e. can i be directly connecting the usb of my computer to it and start burning the hex files?the schematic is for an atmega8,will it work for 32?i have pony prog burner and AVR dude,will it have the necessery drivers?
please answer.

thank you.

Hi, I'm building a development board for an atmega32 MC that i just bought.i found a schematic with which the MC can be programmed using USB or ISP.(see attached file)my question:is the board complete,i.e. can i be directly connecting the usb of my computer to it and start burning the hex files?the schematic is for an atmega8,will it work for 32?i have pony prog burner and AVR dude,will it have the necessery drivers?
please answer. thank you.
I coudnt see any attchements in your post. May not be possible to attach as this is your first post. Ok..regading programming, The USB ASP can program all AVR's including ATmega's and ATtiny's. For any particular programmer,(Except the Pickit2) it requires driver to get recognised by the USB port. Pony prog burner and avr dude should work fine for programming ATmega 32.
Cheers

you didn't attach any file but you are probably talking for a programmer like
fischl.de - USBasp - USB programmer for Atmel AVR controllers
This king of programmer needs to be programmed (avr chip ) so that it can connect to the usb and work as a programmer.
You need to buy a programmed chip or make a parallel programmer to program the avr on the usb board and than you can use it.

The other solution is a board that uses an avr which has a boot loader used to communicate and download the firmware from the usb port to the avr , this is actually a self programmable avr but you also need a programmer to write the boot loader to the chip the first time V-USB - A Firmware-Only USB Driver for Atmel AVR Microcontrollers

Both these projects can be used with avrdude

Alex

Last edited:

I coudnt see any attchements in your post. May not be possible to attach as this is your first post. Ok..regading programming, The USB ASP can program all AVR's including ATmega's and ATtiny's. For any particular programmer,(Except the Pickit2) it requires driver to get recognised by the USB port. Pony prog burner and avr dude should work fine for programming ATmega 32.
Cheers

you didn't attach any file but you are probably talking for a programmer like
- USBasp - USB programmer for Atmel AVR controllers[/url]
This king of programmer needs to be programmed (avr chip ) so that it can connect to the usb and work as a programmer.
You need to buy a programmed chip or make a parallel programmer to program the avr on the usb board and than you can use it.

The other solution is a board that uses an avr which has a boot loaded used to communicate and download the firmware from the usb port to the avr , this is actually a self programmable avr but you also need a programmer to write the boot loader to the chip the first time - A Firmware-Only USB Driver for Atmel AVR Microcontrollers[/url]

Both these projects can be used with avrdude

Alex

thank you guys for the quick reply.
i'm sorry i cannot post the schematic(i'm getting errors).but the one i have is the same schematic given in the website given by alex.glad it works.
Q:how do i upload the boot loader?will i be able to program it using serial port(isp) after i upload the boot loader(i want to have both the methods)?will the whole memory be erased and then the new program written?

again:thank you

Last edited:

if you are talking about the selfprogrammable board (my second link) then you should always use the usb to program the internal memory of the chip, if you use the ISP then the boot loader will be deleted and usb functionality will be lost until you program the chip again with the boot loader.

Alex

if you are talking about the selfprogrammable board (my second link) then you should always use the usb to program the internal memory of the chip, if you use the ISP then the boot loader will be deleted and usb functionality will be lost until you program the chip again with the boot loader.

Alex

i was building this board **broken link removed** accidentally i left some copper on the board,which spoilt the ATMEGA32 IC.
i found another circuit from your second link

Metaboard

this is almost the same as the other one.what i'm not able to understand is:can i place a new ATMEGA32(without boot loader) and just connect this circuit to usb and then upload the bootloader?because recently i bought a readymade serial port board for atmega32,that used RxTx and rs232 converter.i also bought an empty atmega32.when i connected the systme the IC was not responding and then the seller burnt a bootloader(which he did'nt give)and then the device was detected.

so will the same happens here?or will the device be deteceted automatically?

You can't use the USB connection until the AVR is program with a boot loader that communicates through USB,
the AVR has just some ports , you must define the communication protocol with a usb port so that AVR can work.
The only option you have is to use an ISP programmer.

Alex

You can't use the USB connection until the AVR is program with a boot loader that communicates through USB,
the AVR has just some ports , you must define the communication protocol with a usb port so that AVR can work.
The only option you have is to use an ISP programmer.

Alex

i found a simple in-circuit serial programmer.

AVR Programmer

it says ponyprog will automatically detect the IC.My board(the one i mentioned earlier)has these pins seperately located on the board.so will it really auto detect without any bootloader?if yes,then will i be able to burn the usb bootloader onto it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back