Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does payload exactly mean in satellite electronics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnm

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
It is often used as a general term, but could not find a good description on the web.

Can yougive the sentence you got?

In general terms Payload Bay is the area used for storage.

In satellite electronics it has been used to describe where the main electronic circuits are.

A satellite comprises a support subsystem known as a bus and a subsystem responsible for providing the core functionality, known as the payload.
55_1288649706.jpg

The payload is the reason for the satellite being there. The rest of the items beyond that which is used to keep the satellite physically in the right position and generate power for everything, including the payload. This is much like a United Parcel Service airplane. It can fly around without any cargo, but the cargo is why the expense of flying it is taken.

It is often used as a general term, but could not find a good description on the web.

I work in such "domain"!
The payload is the reason of the satellite mission, e.g. for observation satellite it could be optics or X-ray radar.... for telecom is the TV transponder and so on. The rest is as a "lorry" that allow the complete functionality of the satellite, payload included!

So can we say the following for the word "payload":

You "pay" someone to carry your "load". In the satellite case, you pay a third-party carrier (who launches the rocket/satellite) to load your electronics into the space to carry out certain task.

Just trying to make sense out of the word "payload". Hope I understand your explanations right.

So can we say the following for the word "payload":

You "pay" someone to carry your "load". In the satellite case, you pay a third-party carrier (who launches the rocket/satellite) to load your electronics into the space to carry out certain task.

Just trying to make sense out of the word "payload". Hope I understand your explanations right.
I would say yes! Any mission has its "load"... that has to pay the satellite, laucher and so on and as consequence it is a no sense to lauch a satellite that has a "payload" that doesn't work! (Just to be a little funny, but you can image what it means from economical poin of view...)

Thanks for the quick response. We do "pay" a lot of different "loads" that did not pay back so well such as taxes.

Last edited:

Thanks Keith. I did google before. :smile:

Personally, I think the above replies by users from this forum are more specific, and more to the point.

That's the exact reason we hang out here often.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back