Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why schottky diode was used in this power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilikebbs

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
about schottky diode.

In some circuit, i see that a schottky diode was used in power supply.
The circuit connects as follow:
vcc---schottky---IC's power pin
anyone can explain why to do this?

Thanks and Regards!

about schottky diode.

Salam,

The Schottky diode is very fast switching diode, and most of its applictions make use of this property.

SphinX

about schottky diode.

Thanks
I know that fast switch is one of feature of Schottky diode.
In hot swap application, it can make the device power off or power on than direct connect??
Is it right??
Thanks for further advice.

Re: about schottky diode.

Hi,

I think there are 3 reasons to do that:

-protection against power supply reversing
-it is very fast
-forward voltage drop is ~0.1V (usually ~0.7)

about schottky diode.

In hot swap application, fast feature of Schottky diode can make the device power off or power on than direct connect??
Is it right??

Regards

about schottky diode.

i think it is protection application.

EEHardware said:
i think it is protection application.
Here is the thing. Because the schottky is very fast it makes it good for protection but also remember that it consumes twice more power than a simple TTL gate which in this case makes an ideal protection 1)because it fast 2)absorbs more than others power-which we dont want to hit the chip and damage it. Remember what happens to power in thevenin circuits as maximum power etc. It plays a great role.

because of the fast switching of schottky diode it is used to protect the circuit

It's good for battery application where low power an low voltage are available to prevent polarity inversion.
The low direct voltage drop (in most cases less than 400mV) is the key. I think that the fast caracteristics for this application isn't important.

Lollo

Usually we connect to MCU with zener diode in forward biasing. If there a changing polarity happen, it is depend on the reverse biasing voltage at zener voltage to protect the IC. If it do not exceed the reverse biasing voltage, thereby we can protect our IC.

The above statement correct? Please give comment to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.