Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

XC9572XL CPLD JTAG Chain error (Xilinx iMPACT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindthomas

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone.
Today I finally got my CPLD dice PCB soldered together, but unfortunately I can't get the CPLD working.
Currently I'm using the Digilent USB Full Speed JTAG adapter with ADEPT. ADEPT recognizes the CPLD fine, and I can program it with a SVF file I've created in iMPACT. But after it has been programmed, the CPLD still doesn't do anything!

When I try to use Xilinx iMPACT with the Full Speed JTAG adapter plugin I get the "There are too many unknown devices being detected", but if I check the log, the XC9572XL was detected - but iMPACT won't allow me to continue using that single device.
Here is the first lines of the Initialize Chain log:
Attempting to identify devices in the boundary-scan chain configuration...
INFO:iMPACT - Current time: ma 18. okt 00:19:03 2010
// *** BATCH CMD : Identify -inferir
PROGRESS_START - Starting Operation.
Identifying chain contents...'0': : Manufacturer's ID = Xilinx xc9572xl, Version : 2
INFO:iMPACT:501 - '1': Added Device xc9572xl successfully.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
'1': : Manufacturer's ID = Unknown
INFO:iMPACT:501 - '1': Added Device UNKNOWN successfully.
'2': : Manufacturer's ID = Unknown
INFO:iMPACT:501 - '1': Added Device UNKNOWN successfully.

If I then manually add the XC9572XL-PC44 device in iMPACT, and then check the Device ID I get this error:
INFO:iMPACT:583 - '1': The idcode read from the device does not match the idcode in the bsdl File.
INFO:iMPACT:1578 - '1': Device IDCODE : 00000100100100100100100100100100
INFO:iMPACT:1579 - '1': Expected IDCODE: 00001001011000000100000010010011

And the strange thing is, if I change the BSDL file, so I use the XC9572XL.BSD instead of XC9572XL_PC44.BSD, then the read Device ID doesn't include the first 4 zeroes!

Anyways... I've checked the different JTAG lines with a scope, and Clock and TDI seems fine, going from 0V to about 3.3V. But I can only see small signal changes on the TDO line when fx Initializing the JTAG Chain - but those changes aren't from 0V to 3.3V, the difference are only a couple of millivolts?

I hope you can help me :-?

Best Regards
Thomas Jespersen

try these steps:
1. check the package of XC9572XL that u have selected in your project in ISE, PC44?
2. connect anything u need and power on.
3. run iMPACT, do not create new project, click Boundary Scan (in the left) and then Initialize the JTAG Chain (in Menu->File).
Can u find the XC9572XL_PC44 in the Boundary Scan window ?
4. If yes, double click the XC9572 and then select *.jed file from ur project folder.
5. Right click the 9572 and start programming. ^_^

I use these steps to programming my XC9572XL_TQ100, it works great.
Hope this will help u
Craftor

Hello,

1. Please, use your JTAG with an evalutaion kit to make sure it is working.
2. If your JTAG is okay, now you are sure that there is something wrong with your PCB connections. I had faced the same problem with a custom board containing spartan3e250, and it was very hard to solve. We used two solutions:
* Temp solution: use a capacitor at prog_b pin, to hold our FPGA reset for few useconds .
* Better Solution: Make a DC voltage offset on the CCLK pin which is used by an FPGA to read data from external ROM Xcf02s.
* Grounding issues which are the source of many problems !

For the FPGA we needed external ROM while in your case the CPLD is a non-voltaile. However, Try to find similar things for your CPLD. you may compare your programming connections with the ready evaluation board
Xc2-XL, the full schematics are availble here.

regards,
S. Yassin

hi

1. check the package after that open impact window
2. then click on the cancel button to close the pop-up menu for mode selection
3. after that make a right click on to the programmed window of the impact
4. then add xilinx device or initialize chain
5. programmed the device by right lick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com