Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I can't load program in my new 16f877a?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonic05

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i don't know why but the only thing that happen when i load the program by using the pic burner and the new ic that i purchase is NO BOOTLOADER FOUND

so if some complete stranger comes up to you and say nothing but

"I can't load program in my new 16f877a?

i don't know why but the only thing that happen when i load the program by using the pic burner and the new ic that i purchase is NO BOOTLOADER FOUND"

do you think you would have the slightest clue of what s/he is talking about?

in a sense, you are making it incredibly difficult for others to help you.

my problem is when i load program to my new ic that i brought(16f877a) using the bootloader it says..NO BOOTLOADER FOUND...but when i used the original ic there's nothing wrong...whats wrong to my new ic??..and some one told me that the new ic that i brought is empty that why i can't load a program using the bootloader..

You just don't get it do you.

New IC = absolutely blank, zilch program, empty end to end, all bits in default state.
You are expecting an IC which is already programmed with a bootloader. A bootloader is a program already placed inside the IC to assist in loading further programs. Without the bootloader you have only one option, that is to program the IC from scratch using either LVP or conventional high voltage programming. You can either put your whole program in it or you can install another bootloader first but it won't get there by itself!
Brian.

which mean it is possible to put a program in the new ic...using the bootloader...

I'll try explaining again....

The bootloader does not come in the PIC, it is a program loaded after purchase, a new IC will be completely empty of ANY program, be it a bootloader or anything else. So trying to use a non-existent bootloader in a new, blank IC will never work.

There are three ways to program the IC:
1. use LVP (low voltage programming) - you have to put the correct sequence of signals on the pins of the IC and it stores them inside it's memory. You sacrifice one pin to do this because it becomes dedicated to programming.
2. use high voltage programming. this is like LVP but a high voltage is placed on the reset pin to tell the IC to change from running a program to storing it. This leaves all the pins for your use.
3. use a bootloader. This is a software routine that lets you 'feed' the new program through the PIC serial interface pins and the IC stores them internally under the bootloader's control.

TO USE METHOD 3 YOU MUST USE METHOD 1 OR 2 TO PLACE THE BOOTLOADER IN THE PIC FIRST.

The error your programming unit is telling you is that it is trying to talk to the bootloader but it got no reply. As it isn't present in a new, blank PIC that is not a surprise !

I suggest you get hold of a Pickit 2 or Pickit 3 which will let you program almost any PIC without the need for a bootloader at all.

If I define a bootloader it might make it clearer: the term comes from 'boots' as in the things that fit on your feet. It is almost a joke that has become so used that it is now part of programming talk. The analogy is that you can't pull yourself up with your own boot laces, you need help. In programming terms it's a small program that helps you load a big one. "Booting up" is the process of a small resident program coordinating the execution of a your application program.

Brian.

....THANK YOU VERY MUCH....i understand it now......:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.