Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to measure max output current from tranformer or power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

andro

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am confused about max load current
if i have transformer input 220 V / output 9 V how can i know how much max output current can supply?
and the samething if i have solar cell supply for example 12 V DC and i dont have datasheet for it how can i know experimentally check the max output current can supply and hence the watt of it
thanks

You are at the mercy of the manufacturer, only they can tell you exactly.
For a transformer, the output voltage depends to some extent on how much current you draw from it. Lower current means the voltage will be higher and vice versa. So the more you draw from it the more it struggles to keep the voltage up. Power transformers normally have a 'regulation' value, typically a few percent, which tells you how much the voltage is influenced by the current, a lower percentage means less drop per Amp. The voltage specified for a transformer is therefore at a given current, yours may be 9V at 500mA with 5% regulation for example. Obviously, there is some current limit that the transformer simply can't go beyond, usually they overheat and burn out but the manufacturer will normally leave a wide safety margin on their specification.
Solar panels are similar but are a bit less predictable. Like a transformer, their voltage drops under load but other factors such as insolation and temperature play a large part in their capabilities. Their unloaded voltage is typically twice that at their optimum load current.
Brian.

the best way when you don't have any information is to test with your condition of circuit.
for EX. if you use 12V with current 500mA , you can first measure open circuit voltage then connect the source to 12/0.5 ohm
resistor and measure the current and voltage then simple model resistance of power source is Rs=(Vopen-Vres)/Ires

Status
Not open for further replies.