Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to connect PATA hard disk to usb port and use as external hard disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mishra12

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi experts
i have one 8GB maxtor hard disk and i want to use this device as external hard disk connecting to USB port .i want circuit diagram .here is the picture .

Attachments

• DSC08045.JPG
    DSC08045.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 163

You also get a cable with USB at one end and a module that can connect to a 2.5" OR 3.5" PATA as well as SATA at the other. For 3.5" drives, there is also an external power supply included.

Here in Mumbai, it costs around Rs.300/-

Great for those emergency situations as well, where you need to connect a hard disk from one system onto another for salvaging data.

Regards,

Anand Dhuru

The cable I refer to would connect to the IDE port on your drive; the other end of the cable is USB, and it would plug into your PC. The external drive casing Sanjubluerock talked about would work in a similar way, except it would house the drive within itself.

Also, since you are using a 3.5" drive, you'd need to connect the power connector to the supply which comes with both, the USB to SATA/PATA cable as well as the drive casing. I personally prefer the cable, because it is more versatile (2.5" or 3.5", SATA or PATA).

Just remember to configure your drive as a Master with these interfaces.

Regards,

Anand Dhuru

Hi, yours is 3.5" ide hdd.better you can buy ide to usb converter .it's very cheap .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back