Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF Micro Devices - RF5117 2.4GHz Power Amplifier 802.11 wlan

Status
Not open for further replies.

chipxsd

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Has anyone ever made a power amplifier with RF5117?

I'm about to assemble the evaluation board that's in the datasheet file. I had it made in a PCB factory. The PCB's they made are thicker then specified in pdf - so i would get the wrong capacitance on the input / output lines? Will this in any way affect amplifiers performace? -How much? Should i order PCB with right thickness?

How do i connect this amplifier to my WLAN card? Where should i be careful?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

ps. I've got gerber files, if anyone's interested...

Re: RF Micro Devices - RF5117 2.4GHz Power Amplifier 802.11

I just noticed Macom. Do you think this module would do the job? **broken link removed**

The macom part would work fine but it uses 28V and is 2inches in length if you can let me know more of your requirements i would be very glad to help

Have you thought about a descrete design

shogun

>>Should i order PCB with right thickness?

Increasing the PCB dielectric thickness will decrease the capacitance of the TL1 and TL2 segments (equivently, the transmission impedance of TL1 and TL2 will be increased). These segments are used to match the amplifier output to the 50 ohm strip line. The result will be poor power transfer (high SWR). (http://www.circuitsage.com/matching.html)

The 50 ohm strip lines will also have a higher transmission line impedance and not longer match the external coaxial cables (assumed to be 50 ohm coax).

Better get a new PCB made to the correct specifications or just buy the ready made one.

>>How do i connect this amplifier to my WLAN card? Where should i be careful?

To answer this a fully detailed circuit would be needed. Here is a general answer:

That may not be very easy. There should be some type of antenna switch to isolate the receiver circuits from the transmitter's power. A duplexor or a quarter wave shortable stub or series of stubs, etc. The simple idea would be to insert the power amplifier inline (using some short RG174 coax and matching connectors) just before the antenna swiitch (or duplexor). However, on a fully function LAN card these components will be scaled to the LAN card's out power and a +30dBm (1 watt) power amp may complete overwhelm the power rating of these components. If these components can not handle the +30 dBm power level, the antenna switch will have to be implemented externally on another PCB or add to the power amplifier PCB.

Is there an easier way to build a power amplifier for WLAN cards? Those commercial ones are to expensive...

Has anyone build one before?

I thought you can connect the amplifier directly to the PCI card. I guess series of these amplifiers don't add power to output :oops: . I didn't know that you have to insert the amplifier before the antenna switch.

What are the other way to amplify input/output signal?

Someone has managed to build a amplifier for his WiFi card with a 2.4ghz Video/Audio transmitter (for home use) - e.g.: **broken link removed** But i can't find his page anymore.

Please share you suggestions.

Thanks for you help

Designing an external power amplifier with automatic antenna switch, duplexor, or circulator requires exact details of the system parameters.

It's my general experience ... that to increase range and quality in any RF system, one should first concentrate on the antenna and feedline; second on the receiver; and finally ... the transmitter.

In your case a wireless repeater or higher gain antenna could be a easy solution. Here is a place to get cheap prices on wireless gear:
http://www.rflinx.com/
**broken link removed**

Found this for you: 802.11b/g Bidirectional amp
http://www.wi-sys.com/products/accessories/2801.php
http://www.wi-sys.com/products/datasheets/2801Datasheet.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back