Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me understand the operation of this DC Contactor coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niranjana

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I came across one Contactor rated 400A in which the coil is fed through a electronic circuit in which pulsating DC (waveform of full wave rectifier) & each pulse having PWM pulses inside it ( as seen on Oscilloscope) is given to the coil. I can see that the E shaped steel stampings riveted together to form a solid block in which the coil sits, doesnt have a shading ring. So definitely its meant to be used for DC. On analysing the ckt. I found out that the duration of the PWM pulses is- active high: 94 uS & low 6 uS( micro seconds), which keep going on to keep the contactor coil energized. The coil is designed to work on 220Volts & the contactor is supposed to pick up at 140 volts & drop out at 350 volts. The ckt. also takes care of the surges & makes sure using a microcontroller that the contactor only remains energized with in 140V to 350 Volts. It is a kind of safety for the coil because below 140V the coil will not magnetise the core up to the level that it attracts the other end & above 350V the coil may burn & also the ckt has been so designed.

Can some one please tell me:-
1) Why PWM is used in this case & why a a particular this particular duration on Active high & low. What is the relation?
2) When I give AC instead of DC the contactor makes a lot of vibrations. I understand that is because of shading rings not used.
3) What are the things to be considered when designing such a ckt for a coil of contactor.

Thanks

[/img]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back