Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Slow speed boat speedometer, for a row boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thudpucker

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I row when I fish. No motor of any kind.
I'd like to know how fast I'm rowing.
This Speedometer would have a Digital .7" LED read out. Two of them, for miles and tenths/per hour.
I don't think I can row any faster than 9 Mph
In the past there have been Boat speedometers which were a little paddle wheel, moved by the water, an inductor to read the blades on the paddle wheel.

Then what?
I'm sure it's something I can put together. On this site there are Schematics to read counters like that and also to put the output to an LED display.
This is going to be a 12Vdc or less device.

If someone can make up a Block diagram, or link to them, I may be able to do the rest.:D

Hey thudpucker,

Nothin like being out on the water at 5AM and the only sounds are your oars dippin the water. Done that. Anyways here's some ideas:
1 MPH = 17.6 inches per second.
A 5.6 inch diameter paddle wheel has 17.6 inch circumference. 1 rev per second = 1 MPH.
If you had 10 teeth and an inductive pickup or 10 magnets and a switch, you would have 10HZ per revolution or mile per hour. Using a 1 second gated counter your display should read 1.0 You could use a smaller paddle with more teeth or a propeller arrangement but you need to know the pitch or forward travel per revolution. Now where did I put my tackle?

Cheers,
Scanman

Scanman thanks a bunch for the math.

That should make it easier to find a bunch of stuff in my Barn for the job.

In Canada, I rowed 7 miles in Wabishcock lake (Manitoba I think) and the GPS was all I had. I fished all night long, wore out my fishing arm.

The only thing I might add to this little speedometer would be an accumulator for the sake of curiosity.:idea:

A long time from now thoiugh!:|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back