Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to evaluate the effect of PCB to the analog circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xuexucheng

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Now when circuits work in high speed or high precision. the PCB is very important for the performance of a circuit. Thus, there are lots of books talk about the PCB.
However, almost of them are qualitative. We can place the capacitors close to the power pins and so on. Then how close? if there is a certain distance, how about the circuit performance?
When my boss ask me that can your circuit works in the designed performance? I can say nothing but I don't konw.

How to evaluate the effect of PCB to the analog circuit? My friends!

PCB traces have resistance, capacitance and inductance so you need to estimate them using some reasonable assumptions. For instance, your decoupling capacitors have to be close enough to your IC so that the resistance and inductance of the trace does not affect the function of the capacitor itself.
All of this can be simulated adding the parasitic components in your circuit's test-bench.

Thank you for your reply.
simulation is a good method.
However, I wanna do some caculation.
caculation is more intuition, isn't it?
Can anybody tell how to caculate?
Thanks a lot.

Hi!
Sorry, I think a simulation isnt other as "a group of" calculations...
You will make a too big job for you with "discret calculations"_take a simulation SW to go easy on with your nervs...
K.

If you want to do some calculations (a lot of work...) you know the length of the trace, its thickness and its width, its material (copper), the type of substrate, the distance to the next trace, so you have the information you need to apply some physics and calculate the parameters you need, i.e. resistance, capacitance and inductance...

simulation can works.
but some simplified caculation model is usefull to get some intuition and also can get the evaluated results, isn't it?

Yea;
so is it & all (better) textbooks give you the needed formulas...
K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back