Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me build a human detection system for forest

Status
Not open for further replies.

viniuniverse

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, please help me..

I wanna build a system which detects Human being entering into forest. Yes, FOREST. Because of increased poaching, trafficking of animals, I'm looking for a system which detects any human entering forest before every animal disappears. It should not detect any animal. Because v can't guard whole forest boundaries I wanna use technology.. Can anybody pls help me...

Human Detection

Use PIR (Passive infrared motion detectors. These sensors fit good for human detection.
Cheers

viniuniverse

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Human Detection

pranam77,

How will a PIR differentiate between a human (varying sizes) and animals (also varying sizes)? Its a thermal/motion detector.

viniuniverse,

What size animals would you expect to pass through your detector and not be detected?

"The devil's in the details."

Ken

Human Detection

Basically PIR's will detect body heat. May be it will too detect bigger animals like Cows or buffallo's. I never tried it. But yes. it never gets triggered for Cats and dogs who have lesser body mass and thus less heat. I never ventured deep in to the theory i always learn things practically.
Cheers

Re: Human Detection

Thanks for reply pranam77,
I'll try to go deep into that theory. I just need humans to be detected because poachers enter from very remote areas of forest which is practically impossible to monitor them in such a large forest of 100s of square Kms. I also looked at DKL LifeGuard which is really costly but their site claims its ultimate tool for detecting humans even at 500m away, so what you people think of its principles ??

You would be wasting you time and money on the DKL detector. There is no "independent" proof that it works. http://www.skepdic.com/refuge/dkl.html

If it did work, ever security company in the world would buy one, reverse engineer it, and use or sell them everywhere.

Ken

pranam77 said:
.. it never gets triggered for Cats and dogs who have lesser body mass and thus less heat...
Hi,
Also, I know, that (at simpler IR detectors) are small animals a real problem_mybe nowadays no more_ I dont no..
I know in all cases, that I have a relative good one (with uP & logic..) on my house; we have regularly a fox as garden-visitor (not the biggest one), but it makes practically every time active my PIR sensor :-(...
K.

Well thanks for everybody,
I'll use advance PIR sensor to trigger a High Resolution or HD camera and take images or video of the person or animal which passes and then using some real-time image or video processing to determine weather its a animal or not, I'll try to Analise all the animals in the park and if its not any animal then its most probably Human. So, in central monitoring room alarm should be triggered.
What do you ppl think of this idea. Is it reliable ?

Added after 4 minutes:

Well thanks for everybody,
I'll use advance PIR sensor to trigger a High Resolution or HD camera and take images or video of the person or animal which passes and then using some real-time image or video processing to determine weather its a animal or not, I'll try to Analise all the animals in the park and if its not any animal then its most probably Human and then alarm should be triggered.
What do you ppl think of this idea. Is it reliable, do you think its quick ??

Human Detection

How many of these monitors are you going to need for "100s of square Kms"? Doable, but expensive. Each installation would require:
Camera
PIR switch
Computer
RF radio link
Power supply (batteries+solar panels+controller?)
Secure housing

Ken

viniuniverse

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Depends on each Forest area. But yes boundaries are 100s of kms. Cost doesn't matter until the whole system works well. Thanks for your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back