Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TOPSwitch SMPS circuit problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taswar

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I have about a few hundred pieces of TOPSwitch-GX devices, the TOP243, TOP245, TOP246, TOP248, TOP249 and TOP250. At first I made a few circuits using these and then tested them. They were okay and I left them lying there. Then, after a few months, I tried them again, and each and every single one of them had the same problem. They were all designed for 12-15v output. But, the output was fluctuating, going from 0v to 13v or 14v and then going back to 0. Each and every one of them.
Then I realized, my transformer winding was erroneous and I wound another transformer, and this time, strictly following everything in the PIExpert software, I made a new circuit. This worked fine, charging an SLA battery, running for about 8 to 10 hours. So, I thought that was the problem. So, I left it there.
Next when I tried the circuit again, the same problem showed. Why?
Since, I can't get readily wound cores here, I have to do the winding by myself, and I did that according to the software, using only one primary winding instead of as shown in the software.
But now, I want to know what could be causing these problems and how should I go about fixing them?
All my circuits are about 12-15v, 2-3A output max (these are all I designed upto now, I hope to go for more power later on).
I wound the transformer, all windings in same rotational direction.
Thanks in advance.

Hi,
Did you the designed inductances, its not a "air-gap" problem?
K.

Hi karez,
How can I know if it's an airgap problem? I bought the cores from the market, wound them and put a little piece of paper for the airgap. Is that okay?

Hi Taswar,
Its maybe exactly "the problem with air-gap" :)
You must know the paper thickness (or gap with) within so 10um-better less!
You must , as more easier-_ measure your inductances, all other is only thinking & dreaming-sorry...
Check pls. some calculation examples from PI applications(or with) the online/downloadable SW (your TOPSwitch is however from PI:)) for gap-problems-tolerances...
K.

Taswar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.