Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Will a 90W recharger work on a 50W universal converter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pannaguma

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys, I live in India and I was given a Duracell NiMH Battery + recharger pack from the US as a gift. I later realized its adapter only worked on 120V input.

I had almost forgotten about it, when today I happened to come across a 240V input to 120V output adapter during a visit to the local electronics hardware district. It was rated to work at 50W, so I picked it without any further thought.

Now at home I realize the Duracell adapter is rated at 90W.

So my question is if I charge only 2 batteries at a time instead of the maximum 4, will the adapter work? or am I screwing the hardware mercilessly?

From my take on it, basically a 50W converter wont supply enough current to the 90W adapter of the recharger, so although it should take it longer to charge, it shouldn't ruin any hardware... Am I thinking on the right lines?

OR will the convertor overheat and burn due to higher amount of juice being sucked through it? This seems more plausible.

I plugged it in (2 batteries), it seemed to work okay. But switched it off within a couple of minutes.

Any insight welcomed...

Status
Not open for further replies.