Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the difference between pspice and spice3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aferandox

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello friends,

i have searched web to understand the difference between pspice and spice3, but unfortunately i did not find an answer.

Does anybody know something about this topic?

Have a nice day

'spice3' is the original from univ of california.
they gave the source code of algorithms for a fee at that time.

during MSDOS days the then owner of 'pspice'(Microsim) took the 'spice' code and ported to IBMPCs.
it was widely used by acadamia as they have a student version free.

so 'pspice' become popular. pspice=p(c)spice.

the original is command line only.(MSDOS).

after MSWindows introduction , pspice added a frontend with circuit drawing
capability. in the background , still , command line 'pspice' is run.

still 'pspice' algorithms are from 'spice3' but added many user friendly
features in GUI version.

(even in MSDOS version , pspices 'probe' was liked by many)

in essence , pspice is p(c) version of original 'spice'

srizbf
2ndjuly2010

Aferandox

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi

Maybe I know wrong, but Spice3(aka Spice3f5) is the orignal language developed in Berkeley. It has no graphical interface, just text input and output can be read in tabelle form (like excel).

Later Microsim has brought Pspice, which has graphical user interface. Most commands and things are identical (maybe few exceptions).

You can find a brief explanation under below sources

Mainly a Spice3 guide
**broken link removed**

Some partial history and developments
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPICE

Aferandox

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
First of all thank you very much for your answers.

I am working on a simulation program. In this program i use different components, for example;diodes, transistors ... i must built a circuit and then simulate them.

Some of the circuits gave errors. When i checked these circuits, i have seen, that their spice models are pspice.

Than i tried to find a converter from pspice to spice3, and found it: **broken link removed**

now, i want to learn the syntax differences between pspice and spice3.

At the moment i have two models, one from spice3 and the other from pspice. And i try to find syntax differences. Or such kind of think.

Do you know something about this?
Thanks again

what is your OS?

which 'spice3' you are using?

srizbf
2ndjune2010

I use Windows XP, and Text data is *.SP3

i don not use spice simulators. I am working on CST Design Studio.

can you please tell about CST Design studio ?
not familiar with it.

srizbf
2ndjuly2010

Maybe you could post examples of the spice models you have had problems with. Pspice and Hspice both deviated from the original Spice and extended it. It is usually not too difficult to change between different versions, particularly if your simulator gives the statement it has the problem with.

Keith

Most models released for PSPICE are actually generic SPICE code and should work with SPICE3 as well. As far as I remember, SPICE3 has been already ported to IBM PCs, and there was a graphic postprocessor included in the source package. Even the FORTRAN coded SPICE2 versions could run on MSDOS with moderate porting effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back