Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to get magnetron generated waves into water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dp_ee

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I have no real experience with magnetrons or microwaves in general. As a student, my knowledge of EM waves is still limited. A project that I am currently working on requires shooting powerful microwaves at a sample immersed in distilled water. So far, I have thought of using a magnetron (30kW peak, 16.5 W mean) to generate the required waves. I would like your advice on getting these waves into the water.

I think the easiest way would be to use waveguide to coax adapters, one attached to the end of the magnetron, and another immersed in water pointed at the sample. Is this recommended?

I have heard of RF leakage causing problems at waveguide connections. What kind of method and material should I use to minimize this?
I will highly appreciate your input, or any references you can point me to.

Thank you!

Beginner - Magnetron

Hi,
Be care with strong & directed MW rays: you will/can be (eventually) in short time impotent! :-(
K.

Re: Beginner - Magnetron

Hey,

I appreciate your concern. I have read many warnings; however, it seems there is no other feasible method of obtaining such powerful waves. I tried to assess safety by applying the IEEE std C95-2005. Unless I made errors, it seems that, at this power level, it should be safe.

Anyway, at this stage the design is only theoretical. It may not even be built physically. Can you provide more info for my original questions?

Beginner - Magnetron

Hi,
I dont have MW experience too_sorry.
I know that (in some solutions?) are between WG elements so elastic materials inserted as a porouse & conductive gum...
www.telemeter.com has had in program.
But on Edaboard are some really MW experts (as maybe biff44) too.
K.

dp_ee,

I'm not one of the gurus but have some uwave experience.

Water in general has issues with passing RF energy. Water tends to adsorb energy (see microwave oven). Have you looked at characteristic impedance? I'm not familiar with the impedance of distilled water is but it has to be different than air. Typically clear membranes are placed over the waveguide feedhorns. RTV makes a good temporary sealant for the coax (depending on your frequency).

Someone familiar with antennas would be a great deal of help.

Beginner - Magnetron

Hi,
Missoury Shielding Systems, 5750 Conductive Rubber:
**broken link removed**
Waveguide-transmittersystem montage materials:
**broken link removed**
Hope it helps?
K.

Hello,

Thank you all for your input.

I was wondering what happens in this case in terms of boundaries. In this setup, is the boundary between the coax innerconductor (~perfect conductor) and the water the only one i have to really worry about?

TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back