Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to write a firmware which can run on multiple hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello respected ones,

I have developed a firmware based on a RTOS for ARM7. Now i want to make it a baseline firmware which can be used with similar, more or less features (configurable) on different microcontrollers, like MSP, or AVR etc.

Precisely what would we name this phonemona. If there are any articles, techniques or related stuff available then please share.

Best Regards
Dani.....:D

Re: How to write a firmware which can run on multiple hardwa

Hi,

The compiled binary will not run on different controller, but you can have configurable source code. Use #define, #ifdef/#endif (if you are using C)... to configure which section will or not be compiled.

Build your firmware in 2 layers:
Upper layer abstract from hardware and lower layer dependent on hardware.
This part should be configurable during configuration.
The book embedded systems building blocks is a good guide for doing that.
--
Amr Ali

Thanks amraldo and future,

Being more specific, if i want to change different features of firmware for one hardware and others for the second. What technique should i adopt and is there any study material available.

My existing firmware consist of four layers, 1 Application, 2 Service, 3 Wrapper and 4 driver layer.
For abstraction of driver layer i have wrapper layer. but for service layer and application layer which consist of the actual logic of the system there is no abstraction. Application layer consist of RTOS and HMI mainly.

Basicly you will change driver layer any other thing should be the intact.
--
Amr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back