Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PICkit 2 Programmer - Problem!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinnster

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Well, I tried to program my PIC16F877A but I got this error where it says this:
Programming failed at Program Memory address 0x000003.
What should I do? :(

Could it be the PIC fried? I tried another smaller program and it could work! x.x

Hi,

If you have programmed something else with the Pickit into the 877 then it sounds like a fault in the larger program.

If you post the .hex file here then I could try programming into my chips to prove the point.

Is your programmmer a genuine Microchip Pk2 or a diy clone ?

Actually, genuine or not, Idk but the design looks really identical to Microchip's one. Could be another company's clone but it looks the same.
anyway, I've uploaded the hex.

Shinnster said:
Actually, genuine or not, Idk but the design looks really identical to Microchip's one. Could be another company's clone but it looks the same.
anyway, I've uploaded the hex.

Hi,

Was just trying to establish if it was a diy build ; it sounds like a ready made unit so that elimates a lot of potential problems.

Either way assume it is using Microchips Pickit2 stand alone program or via Mplab ?

Have programmed that hex file into my chip and verified it several times ok, so it must be something wrong with the chip or the programmer.

Have sent one of my hex files that has been used many times and is good.
Its for a 876A chip but that is identical to the 877A except that the program memory is half the size and will make no difference when you program it into either type of chip.

Verification of Program Memory failed at address 0x0000000.
=( Must be the chip slightly messed.
Anyway, thanks, I'll go get a new chip and test again.

It could be because I reversedly connected on my circuit by accident last week. Sigh

Hi,

Well reverse polarity can blow the chips - but worth checking a few other things before or while you get a new chip.

You do not mention if your programmer is new to you or you have programmed ok a lot before ?

What kind of set up have you got for the wiring from the Pk2 to the 877A - a dedicated programmer socket or icsp ?

How long are the connection wires etc - too long can cause failures.

Have you used the Tools, TroubleShooter in the Pickit v2.61 program to check the voltages are getting through.

Either way the above are good things to be aware of and to know how to check in the future.

Yes but it was very short moment since when I reverse and switched on the power supply, my other devices connected to the PIC wasn't functioning so I turned it off withing less than 5 seconds or so. The programmer is not new to me. It's a rather commonly used programmer in my country. ICSP. It is connected to the UIC-S socket which you can put your 877A on it to program, like this link below :
**broken link removed**
I'm not sure what do you mean by wires but ICSP connected to this socket is using a rainbow wire which is approx. 10cm?

Oo thanks for sharing on that troubleshoot.
It appears to be fine.

Hi,

In a split second you can damage any chip by reverse polarity - just depends on how lucky or unlucky you are at the time - sometimes they survive - we all do it !

I usually put of dot of Tippex on the chips to highlight pin 1

If the length of cable from the Pickit2 to the programming socket is too long then the high speed programming pulses can get lost - I have found anything over 15cm can cause problems.

Also the PC to Pk2 usb cable should be just one standard length cable of about 1.25m max.

As everything else seems ok does sounds like the chip has gone.

Shinnster

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

true true, it does mess up the PIC even split second.
Works on another PIC16F877A. :]

Thanks :p and yes the chip has gone, but still programmable! to a certain extent :p

Status
Not open for further replies.