Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to generate a constant voltage source???

Status
Not open for further replies.

afujian

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How to generate a constant voltage source that can supply different current?Thanks a lot.

a 'voltage regulator' is classic example of
constant voltage source.

(or) ,
a battery (within its discharge rating ) is another one.

srizbf
30thapril2010

srizbf said:
a 'voltage regulator' is classic example of
constant voltage source.

(or) ,
a battery (within its discharge rating ) is another one.

srizbf
30thapril2010
thanks,but I will not use a battery,my goal is to design such a voltage source,and the voltage regulator may be the suitable one.

Added after 2 minutes:

calculus_cuthbert said:
are you talking about a voltage controlled current source?
nope, it should be an constant voltage source ignoring its current.

Added after 3 minutes:

srhoar said:
For it to be a constant voltage source, it has to be able to supply different currents.

If the load on the driver changes, then the current must change.

Voltage
-------- = current
Load

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_source

Just put a zener diode across the source.

Red
yes,the voltage regulator.

Added after 6 minutes:

But,what is the difference between the voltage regulator and the bandgap reference? both of them can supply congstant voltage!

Voltage regulators are designed to supply a significant current - up to several amps at a constant voltage, a bandgap will provide a more stable voltage than a regulator over temperature, but only up to a few mA. A bandgap is one element of a voltage regulator.

Keith

afujian

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
You need to specify the voltage, current, tolerances, temperature coeficient and everything else you are interested in to get a more specific answer. Please be more specific in your posts.

keith1200rs said:
Voltage regulators are designed to supply a significant current - up to several amps at a constant voltage, a bandgap will provide a more stable voltage than a regulator over temperature, but only up to a few mA. A bandgap is one element of a voltage regulator.

Keith
Thanks,your answer is helpful.Please also pay attention to the attachment,is it possible to fix the Vx to a constant value without using a bandgap and voltage regulator(because it is a part of a bandgap circuit) as the vdd changes from 2v to 5v.------I hope have disccribed the question distinctly.

It might be useful if you explained more about what you are trying to do. A fixed voltage required as part of a bandgap design? Your circuit will probably produce a voltage a roughly fixed amount below Vdd, but it will change as Vdd changes. Is this a startup circuit for a bandgap? Your requirements are rather vague.

Keith

It's a little complicate to explain it.The circuit is assumed to be a part of my bandgap circuit,I want it to generate a current which can be expressed as I=a*T square+b*T+c (T means Temperature) to do a second order curvature compensation.The principle is if the Vx is fixed,and the voltage of Vbias equals -kT+b,then according to the equation Id=1/2*u*cox*w/l*(vsg-vth)square,the I is generated.Now the only problem is how to fix the Vx to a constant value while the vdd is changing.Finally if this current is injected to the output branch,the compensation may be achieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back