Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

47Ghz VCO,transient simulation success, HB simulation failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingpangzi

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
This is a around 47 Ghz LC oscillator. I used a Capacitor instead of tuning Capacitor.
I can observe oscillation when I do th transient simulation.
But I can't observe any harmonic when I do the HB simulation.
Is anybody who had the similar experience?
Thanks!

HB doesn't like floating nodes or unconnected components because they make it nervous..
There are two capacitors connected in series, put a 1GOhm resistor between ground and floating point of the capacitors.
And then put the same resistor besides to current source in parallel.
And play some HB parameters like solver method, robustness etc.

Re: 47Ghz VCO,transient simulation success, HB simulation fa

BigBoss said:
HB doesn't like floating nodes or unconnected components because they make it nervous..
There are two capacitors connected in series, put a 1GOhm resistor between ground and floating point of the capacitors.
And then put the same resistor besides to current source in parallel.
And play some HB parameters like solver method, robustness etc.

Hi, thanks very much for your suggestion! modified the circuit to a equivalent circuit with only one capacitor, and the resistor is in parallel.

But I get the warning that "the loop gain is larger than 1, but we need extra phase shift".
And the result is still not right, minus -∞. I guess something is wrong with my LC tank. But I haven't figure why, because this tank model is the typical model for LC VCO.

But on your circuit, the gates are short circuited by OSC Port..Therefore your loop gain is infinite.

Status
Not open for further replies.