Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need kick start for my project

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkalna

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
First Post

Hi there,

I'm new here altought I have studied electronics long time ago. I have basic understanding of
electronics, cuircit boards, procesors, assebmler etc, I'm software developer so from computer
side there should be no problem at all... but I need kick start for my project.

What that will be? Well, I'd like to build somethin like Lego Mindstorm but I want to build it myself.

What would you, Microcontroller GURUs, suggest? Where do I start? What should I be studying?

Thanks a lot,
Dalibor

You could try looking into ELEKTOR E-Blocks...together with flowcode, it makes a nice starter package

Well, thanks a lot for your reply, I will look into some Elektor
Issues, but realy, I'd like to build it from scratch and understand
it from 01010110... to moving arms and legs.... so where to start?

Well I do believe that Eblocks will help you start. Working with it will help you understand the in's and out's from pic controllers. Once you master the programming of the pic and its possibilities, you might want to digg into the hardware. Even the hardware can be inspired by the eblocks. I'm not suggestion that you use eblocks to build your design, just use it to master the skills.

It is hard to help you get started as you don't specify you knowledge. 100101 just tells me that you know a bit about binary and maybe C?
what is your educational background?

dkalna said:
Well, thanks a lot for your reply, I will look into some Elektor
Issues, but realy, I'd like to build it from scratch and understand
it from 01010110... to moving arms and legs.... so where to start?
Hi,
check at www.nebis.ch for the electronics/programmer courses/in book format, mostly with CDs, you can borrow it from ETH Bibl. in your country :)
K.

A good way to get back in the swing of things is to start with a small micro-controller. The stamp is a fast and easy way to start.

To go down further, you could build a simple Z80 or 8051 circuit. If you don't want to actually build it, then use Proteus. With that software and a compiler, you should be able to get up and running in no time and get the brain pumping.

You can design in Proteus around a stamp, then buy one and test it.

Have fun on your journey,

Red

Hi there,

thank you all for your responses. To my background, I have studied electronics like almost
20 years ago on high school, we have programmed 8080 with ASM and all that staff, then I
went to university and switched to from C Java, which I used till today to earn my daily bread...

Would I be completely worng if I purchase Microchip Pic3 Debug Express and try to learn?

Any microchip pruduct and development kit will be fine.

Try Proteus. You will be able to work with most processors (Pic,Stamp,z80,8061,HC11) and any language.

I wouldn't jump into ASM. Instead stay with C. If you are using a proven uC then there are descent compilers out there. You will only need ASM in specialized circumstances or for the newest processors.

On a daily basis I use 8051,80186,HC11,PICs,STAMPS, or PLC controllers.
I try to stay with C as it is easier to port the code from project to project.

Red

dkalna

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi there, and thank you again for response. Today, my PicKit3
Debug Express from Microchip with PIC18F45K20 on board is
arrived, can't wait to start playing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back