Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ICD2 Firmwares, HEX file of 18F4550 is incomplete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saeidjabbari

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi for all
I download ICD2 Firmwares from this site : http://www.icd2clone.com/wiki/Main_Page
when i want to write HEX file to 18F4550 with Melabs Programmer software and LPT Programmer, I get an error message encountered!!!
I think HEX file of 18F4550 is incomplete!
Finally i need this programmer and i want to help me :cry:

I am waiting for your answer dear
Your Sincerely,
SAIED

Re: ICD2 18F4550 HEX Problem

Hi,

Just an opinion, but the old icd2 is a complicated device compared to the Pickit2 diy clones that you can build very easily and cheaply, as often shown in this forum.
Search for Pickit2 Lite

Although the plans show the Pickit2 using a 2550 chip, as I have proved, you can use the 4550 instead, just program in the 2550 code from the Microchip web site into the 4550, no changes needed.

Thanks A Lot about your advice but now i need to build this programmer, can you help me about this problem?

Hi,

Afarid I am not familiar with that software, if the LPT programmer hardware is based on the P16Pro design have you tried other software like winpicprog ?

You don't say what the error message actually is ?

Have downloaded the code you show and it programs into my 4550 with no errors as shown.

Thank A Lot WP100 :D
I understand where is my problem, but only one case did not understand, when i open hex file with NOTEPAD, i see some rows is FFFF FFFF ... and when i program 4550 with LPT programmer, Melabs software is given an error to these lines!

Hi,

Well as you can see from these shots FFFF is normal for where there is no program code.

You can see there are many blanks from the Start, the End_main shows where the main code ends, followed by all FFFF, however they have put in some kind of terminal value at the last memory location 7FFE.

Afarid I have no idea why your programmmer does not accept these ?? - I must assume this is the first time you have programmed with it as you will always have these FFFF blanks on any chip you program.

If it is the first,time, check your programmer information sheets as I think you must be missing something ? - I assume you have selected the chip type as 18F4550 ?? - if so it should work ok - have used several other programmers/ hardware and software and they all work fine with code like this.

Thanks WP100
Now I want to design PICkit2 and after that build ICD2 :D
Can you attachment Frimware of PICkit2 to this post? In one of the post written 2.3 version of frimware can not work well with PICkit2 programmer?

Hi,

You can get all the free Pickit2 program and manuals at the bottom of this page -
**broken link removed**

Be aware that the Pickit2 lite is a cut down version of the full PK2.
As such it can not do the Programmer-to-Go function - but no great loss.
It also can only program the 5v chips as it cannot vary its output VDD voltage, however with addition of a few common parts it will also program 3v3 parts, as I have proven on a pic24 chip.

The Pickit2 Lite diagram shows a Ferrite Bead in the usb power line input - it is not needed.
The BAT41 diode is the same as 1N4148
All other part should be easy to find - apart from the 680uh choke - although I have used 470uh on mine ok.
Have also included my own diagram which might be clearer on some points.

There is loads of info about it in this forum including a pcb somewhere.

Thanks A Lot for Advice
I hope you succeed in your life.

Your Sincerely
SAEID JABBARI :D

Hi,

n one of the post written 2.3 version of frimware can not work well with PICkit2 programmer?

Have used v2.32 on a good selection of 16F and 18F without any problems.
No major errors reported on the Microchip Forum either - though there will always be the odd minor exception.

The important question - have you been able to program v2.32 into your 4550 or are you still getting the Error message on FFFF ?

Hi My Friend
I am currently doing exams, Probably next week I will build PICkit2, If i encounter any problems I'm said in this post.

Thank you regard everything

Hi Saied..

I do this project **broken link removed** which uses the pic you want 18f4550 .. This page includes all the necessary files you want at the tag "free download"

Because sometimes this link is "stuck" i attach this file...

Status
Not open for further replies.