Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me design a data acquisition circuit for gas sensor array

Status
Not open for further replies.

hgfedcba

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all,
I am trying to build a gas sensor array [CO, CO2, NH3]... i do not want to connect them all seperately to the microcontroller [using PIC16f866] as i need many port pins for further application circuits... can u plz help me in designing a data acq circuit for the sensor array... am planning to use MQ series gas sensors...

sensor1----> sample and hold1---> MUX
sensor2----> sample and hold2 ----> MUX
sensor3----> sample and hold3----->MUX

from MUX----> ADC of PIC micrcontroller...

can u guide me?
i suppose that i need an external sample and hold ciruit, right?

gas sensor array

I am not sure you need the sample & hold. What is the output of the gas sensor? If it is simple a DC signal level then you would just sample it with the PIC ADC S/H.

Keith.

Re: gas sensor array

keith1200rs said:
I am not sure you need the sample & hold.
I concur with Keith. I don't see why you would need an individual sample & hold for each sensor. Gas concentrations change slowly, compared to the rate at which you can scan through sensor outputs with PIC.

CD4051 is a popular analog mux. ADG728 is another good one.

Thank u so much 4 the reply...
My prof wants me to use an external circuit... I will have to perform all signal conditional processes outside the controller...

gas sensor array

My pin calculation is this:
- external MUX needs 1 analog input and two digital outputs to control the MUX
- internal MUX needs three analog inputs
What's the adavantage of using an external MUX?

Regarding external signal condition: What do you intend to do?

hi,
am also quite unsure as why he aked me to use external components... ll ask him again about it...
1) i also hav a doubt... since the output of the gas sensor will depend purely on the atmospheric conditons, the input values to my s/h circuit will be discrete (output of the gas sensors will be discrete values!) so wat will be the sampling rate?
2) also can i get any good e-books for better understanding of their practical applications? thanking you in advance...

Status
Not open for further replies.