Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ballast Design - schematics, data sheet for T5 bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorti003

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi I am new in the ballast design and I would like to know if any one knows if a schematic to go by to understand what is going on I would also would like to know where one can get the data sheet for T5 bulbs. What I have read is that it is very important to have this when design a ballast but I cannot find them for the love of god. Thanks in advance

Ballast Design

Just reverse engineer a few similar type, you see, all schematics are basically same(Not IC Based, I Recomend Transistor like 13003 or 13005). Just consider measure frequency and inductance of inductor. Now Recalculaate your early FL Ballast Inductor and wind with new data.

you got it .

Thanks

Ballast Design

Hello,

You can find the T5 spec here: www.tetech.nl/divers/TLspecificaties.pdf. I will leave it there for 10 days.

Some things to remember,

Some regions (like Europe) have strict regulations on power factor, so just a mains rectifier with capacitor will not be sufficient.

The suppliers of controllers ST, IRF, AVR ATMEL have nice application notes to get an idea of the basics.

When you want to make a dimmable ballast, it is important to "feed" the filaments to keep them at the correct temperature to avoid permanent damage to the filament's coating. When you don't heat the filaments during dimmed operation, lamp-life will be extremely short. Some suppliers describe variable frequency schemes to facilitate easy dimming. If you would like to use such an operating scheme, do a careful evaluation to make sure that you are within the T5 specs.

As you might know, reducing the lamp current, increases the lamp voltage. Your design needs sufficient open loop voltage to keep the lamp going at low lamp current.

Other thing is that there maybe requirements for end-off-life detection mandatory for your region. If this ballast design is for mass production, getting the standards is a must.

Status
Not open for further replies.