Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measuring the iductance of the coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

vijbele

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am designing an RLC circuit and making a transformer. I would like to measure the voltage and current across inductance.

Instrument which is used for measuring inductance are

Network analyzer,
Q meter

Any other idea apart from two apparatus.

Thanks
vijay

try a resonant circuit. u will have a capacitor of known value then measure the resonant frequency
from this formula u can find the inductor value.
fr=1/2*pi*(L*C)^0.5.

@ waseemsh,
The Q-meter makes it so, it build a resonat circuit with your inductance.:), what is for a type pls?
I would prefer it(L is direct readable_most at the working frequency too_ in relation NA, but depend of special versions of both...
K.

Re: Measuring the inductance of a coil

You can measure the Inductance with a Signal Generator, VTVM, RF Probe and potentiometer. Connect the Inductor in series with the potentiometer. Connect series Inductor and potentiometer across the signal generator output.

Measure the output level of the Signal Generator for reference. Then measure the junction of the inductor and the potentiometer. Adjust the potentiometer until the measured value is 1/2 (50%) of the signal generator output level. At this point the potentiometer Resistance is equal to the Inductor Reactance. Measure the resistance of the potentiometer.

With the value of the Inductor Reactance, the Frequency of the Signal Generator Output use the formula L = Xc÷(2×Π×Frequency) to determine the Inductance. You can use the same procedure to measure Capacitive Reactance and then calulate the Capacitance. Use the formula C=1÷(2×Π×Frequency×Xc)

For a better explanation of Q measurement then what I am able to articulate look for the manual of the Boonton 260 Q-Meter online. The manual for the instrument covers the theory of operation, and methods used to measure the Q.

See:
https://bama.edebris.com/manuals/boonton/260a/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back