Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to connect a radio mixer for up-conversion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, a really basic question that confuses some of us.

An RF mixer has 3 ports:

LOSC
RF
IF

In DOWN-CONVERSION:

RF is the input
IF is the output

What about in UP-CONVERSION?
Which port should be the input of the low frequency signal and which one the output of the high frequency (produced) signal?

I have found this paper **broken link removed**
which seems to connect the input to the IF for up-conversion, but I have seen on other designs the input being the RF. Does it have to do with the type of mixer?

I am basically interested in double balanced and triple balanced mixers so I would like to know how to connect these two type of mixers for up-conversion.

Generally IF output is the output of the mixers, so up converted signal can be provided from this port.
LOSC is as usual to drive the LO signal and finally RF port is used to insert the main signal to be up converted.
This is valid only Gilbert cell based mixers.But in diode based mixers, RF and IF ports are interchangeable.
But technical data should be carefully studied because some restrictions/constraints can be applied especially transformer based diode mixers.

BigBoss said:
Generally IF output is the output of the mixers, so up converted signal can be provided from this port.
LOSC is as usual to drive the LO signal and finally RF port is used to insert the main signal to be up converted.
This is valid only Gilbert cell based mixers.But in diode based mixers, RF and IF ports are interchangeable.
But technical data should be carefully studied because some restrictions/constraints can be applied especially transformer based diode mixers.

Yes, one should see the frequency range and power in each port based on the specs of each mixer. All types of diode mixers (double balanced, triple balanced) can interchange their RF/OSC ports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back