Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC Motors - controlling the angle

Status
Not open for further replies.

malek2610

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
DC Motors

Hello everyone,

I use a DC motor and I know how to control the speed and the direction of my motor, but I want to control the angle of rotation, so can you help me please, because I can't find a solution for this problem.

thank you !

Re: DC Motors

Unless it's a stepper motor, I don't think you can. Normal DC motors have no reference 'zero' position so even if you could move by a determined number of degrees, you wouldn't know the starting point.

Brian.

DC Motors

You would need to add a feedback system e.g. encoder, servo potentiometer.

Keith.

Re: DC Motors

hello,

this can be resolved very easily with a hall effect encoder
put a mechanical obstacle
read the encoder pulses,
when the encoder stops counting,
you know who is standing in the point 0..
and from the point 0 has turned the engine backwards and estimate how many pulse per spin you.
divide by the degrees you want to know and you have your engine positioning.
This is a solution that is widely used in vending machines

example:

get 720 pulses per rotation

720/360º = 2 = pulse x degrees

90º to have to count 180 pulses

another option is to work with time, but if your mechanics are not needed is not a good solution

regards.

DC Motors

You can position DC motors by monitoring the motor current. The brush commutation creates a ripple in the motor current which can be used to control position.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.