Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what does the CURL of a vector

Status
Not open for further replies.

tibm

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
meaning of curl

what does the CURL of a vector (say Electric field mean in real time)
I know that divergence means the net outflow of the vector from a close surface but couldn't interpret the concept of curl. Can anyone explain it

Re: meaning of curl

This is the del cross product. In fluid flow it describes the turbulence of the fluid flow.

Re: meaning of curl

what about the del cross product of Electric field or magnetic field?

meaning of curl

hi
curl is a criteria for the rotation of field in a special surface.I think it is ok to think about curly hair.Hairs that are curly have some kind of rotation around some point.you can expand this interpretation to fields too.but mathematical definition is more accurate and in fact defines the density of flow of field around a circule when the area of circule approches zero.I hope it can help you

Imagine a body of water that is not at rest, say a river for example. The velocity of the water at any given point could be described by a vector field. It is easy to realize that a small paddle wheel placed in the river flow could be forced to rotate, since the water in the center of the river moves fast and the water at the banks moves very slow. The property of the vector filed would have curl<>zero.

Now imagine a point source of water that has water flowing outward in all directions (I understand this is not physically possible) it is obvious that the same paddle wheel could not rotate in this fluid field. This field has curl=zero. This is the electric filed around a static charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back