Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Receiving data through RS232 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

yousafzai82

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone

i have designed a and ADC with MAX187. I used MAX232 as a level convertor. I want to see the data through Hyperterminal. But i am not getting any data. Can anyone suggest what can be the problem?

the circuit diagram is as follows...

Zahoor Ahmad

It’s a complete mismatch ..

Using hyperterminal you have no control over particular pins of the serial port and on top of that to get data from MAX187 you need to follow the exact timing sequence .. see data sheet ..

It can be done with the parallel port, but really more practical approach would be to employ a microcontroller, program it to “talk” to MAX187 and to send results via MAX232 to serial port ..

Rgds,
IanP

Ok.
It looks like it was done in pre-windows era by bypassing BIOS serial port services and directly accessing serial port registers ..
You can’t do the same using Windows and Hyperterminal ..

Rgds,
IanP

The circuit utilizes RS232 handshake lines as synchronous serial interface. This generally works, although somewhat slower
than with a parallel port. But as an advantage, RS232 handshake lines can be operated from the Windows API without a special
driver. It surely doesn't work with Hyperterminal. I'm sure, your literature doesn't claim anything different.

You need a programming language, that can control the RS232 handshake lines, e.g. free Visual Studio Express, and have
to program a simple shift register to read the data.

Thank you both.....
But once i compile the program how can i acces serial port from there, or it will do it automatically?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back