Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TRACK TO TRACK CLEARANCE FOR 12V,35A TRACK..help me plsss..

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvmanikandan

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys right now i am designing a PCB for high power load control Applications.
i have ipc-2221 standard for the track clearance.This standard only given the voltage rating .there is not mention the current rating that's why i am confused.

my design input is 12 volt 35 amps (time 1 minute) in a particular track.but i don't know the track clearance between the track also track width.
Board thickness is 1.6mm and copper plating thickness is 70 micron (2oz).solder mask layer also covered.

And one thing i am not a experienced pcb designer
So pls.. Any one suggest the track clearance and track width for the above requirement.

Thanks in advance.

MOD: this topic is moved from "Service Manuals, Requests, Repair Tips" section" with a warning to the member.

Re: TRACK TO TRACK CLEARANCE FOR 12V,35A TRACK..help me plss

12V is rather low voltage so you shouldn't worry much about it ..
Use formula from this site or value from the attached, simplfied table:
https://www.desmith.net/NMdS/Electronics/TraceWidth.html
where you can also find the TraceWidth Calculator ..

Rgds,
IanP

kvmanikandan

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
For 12v the clearance required is far less than your minimum track.gap clearance anyway.

What you do need to be more concerned about its the overall width f the track, 35A is a heck of a lot - how thick have you ade it & what OZ value is the copper?

kvmanikandan

Re: TRACK TO TRACK CLEARANCE FOR 12V,35A TRACK..help me plss

Man that is a brutal requirement for PCB Etch!

To get 35 amps on an Internal layer you would need 4oz or better copper thickness, at about 1 inch in width. for external you would need 2oz of copper at .4 inch.

To do this all on internal it would take probably 4 layers at 1oz each.
To do this all on the external it would take top and bottom at 2oz each. (But if

Since it is pretty low voltage there would not be to much concern about creapage. Prvideded you have a pretty good isolation between digital and analog.

Eda

kvmanikandan

If it is just prototypes then use wires soldered on from one end to the other, or one of the metal bus bars you can get for high currents on the PCB.

kvmanikandan

Hi,
If you have these copper lines on the outer(backside) layers you can apply a spetial/added mask layer for tinning (by HAL) that (more or less) full width of the (high current) copper lines= higher thickness/higher current capability...
You need only some more to work with this + layer mask and pay a plus film at your PCB vendor.
You can see it oft as "solution" the less/missed copper thickness in switched supplies too...
K.

kvmanikandan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back