Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

interfacing pic 16f877a to rf module

Status
Not open for further replies.

sujathasankar

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to do rf communication b/w to pics, can any1 suggest an rf transceiver model and how to interface it with pic?
pls help me...

I can recommend using a 2.4GHz transceiver IC from Nordic Semiconductor (https://www.nordicsemi.com).

The IC interfaces with your microcontroller by SPI which is as easy as it gets.

Nordic's documentation and design guides are very good. You don't really need a lot of experience to make it work.

As long as you don't need a range of more than 50 meters, you can use the basic reference design with out external antennas. Basic reference designs are in the datasheets and in application notes on their website.

Thanks a lot.

Im doing a passenger information s/m, yet i think for demo purpose 50m range wud b enf.
I found many models in the site, but im unale to choose which 1 is best suited for my use.
I have to send the information about the location of the bus to the bus stop, the location is derived from with a GPS.
Wat all shud i keep in mind wen making a choice?

nRF24LU1+
2.4GHz Wireless Transceiver Air data rate of up to 2 Mbps, full speed USB, and up to 12 Mbps.
nRF24LE1
2.4GHz Wireless Transceiver SoC with nRF24L01+ transceiver, 8-bit MCU and FLASH
nRF24L01+
2.4GHz Wireless Transceiver Unique comb. of high air data rate and advanced power management
nRF24LU1
2.4GHz Wireless Transceiver USB microcontroller and flash memory
nRF24L01
2.4GHz Wireless Transceiver Enhanced ShockBurst, MultiCeiver, Link Layer Protocol.
nRF24AP1
2.4GHz Wireless Transceiver with Protocol UART or Synch serial port
nRF24Z1
2.4GHz Wireless audio streaming transceiver I2S, S/PDIF, SPI, QoS engine, 4Mbit/s transceiver

For your application, you don't really have too much to worry about. What is really good is that you will need a low data rate (you don't have a large amount of data that must be transfered) and also the data only need to go in one direction. This makes things a lot simpler.

You could consider using the 24LE1 which already contains a microcontroller, but if you're more comfortable using a PIC, then this is not an advantage. Yet, you could see this as a challenge to learn a new microcontroller.

Otherwise I would recommend the 24L01. This is the basic model in the family.

This family of transceivers have several different modes in which they can operate. You should read the datasheet and see if you can decide which mode suits your application.

As a starting point, I'd suggest that you don't need the maximum data rate and would be more interested in being certain that your data is received correctly.

Also look at the evaluation kits. Perhaps you won't be able to have a new PCB designed and manufactured for your project in which case the evaluation kits would be very helpful to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.