Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can a PC read binary data from FPGA via USB port or COM port

Status
Not open for further replies.

oliverlin09

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

I thought PCs just can read ASCII data, but someone told me that PCs can read binary data directly from an USB or COM port.
If it's ture, that means I don't need to build a binary-to-ASCII converter in the FPGA, and send binary data to a PC directly.

Oliver

ASCII does not EXIST in this world my friend, ASCII is just an implementation of using 8 bit binary data to represent Latin characters THAT'S ALL.

Re: Can a PC read binary data from FPGA via USB port or COM

So, does it mean if my data is just numbers, I don't need to transfer them to ASCII???

Re: Can a PC read binary data from FPGA via USB port or COM

Yes, that's true. The main reason to use ASCII formatted data in communication is to provide a human interface, you can e.g.
use HyperTerminal to send commands and get readable responses. For a FPGA, it surely more easy to send and receive binary data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back