Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Installing Windows xp on laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

sniper_01

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have dell studio 1555 laptop and it has window vista on it (from purchase) ! i dont want to use vista coz many programs dont run on that ! i bought windows xp 06 and tried to intall on my laptop ! set up ran but after few minute set up didnot continue giving message on the blue screen ! i tried with other xp cds too ! all have got same problem! i dont want to use vista ! how can i make my laptop support window xp ?? does my laptop dont support xp or what ?? i m just tired of installing xp !! do i have to make any modification plz guys help me i want to use xp !!!

error comes in blue screeen thus i have to restart my laptop

which version of xp?

Once i too had this problem, I tried to install xp on blank laptop and failed. Later i found the reason that xp till sp3 dont have support for SATA harddisk.

Then I disabled native sata in cmos setup and then i was able to install xp without any problem.

Nandhu

Hi I recently bought Lenovo ThinkPad Edge of Intel Core 2 Duo which can be seen here **broken link removed** and there is no windows installed in it. Can anyone help out which windows will be supportable with this?

Rgards,
Jasmine

Just try to reinstall it proper way. if you have a warranty card then you may take the help from where you bought it.

I would expect, that Dell provides a XP installation including all hardware specific drivers. Computers with pre-installed Vista
professional usually have been shipped with a XP downgrade option. Actually, only few electronic professionals would buy
it otherwise.

Although Windows 7 is more promising, you should clarify if all your essential applications are supporting it. Otherwise
you may want to stay with XP for the next years.

dell should have provide the recovery cd.. you actually could reinstall the windows from it, and it include all the driver inside also.

Hello,

I checked the Dell web site and it appears that they do support XP for the studio 1555. That is somewhat important as newer hardware sometimes does not have drivers for older operating systems.

That being said, how inverted are you in what you have already done with your lappy? I ask because you will want to back up anything that you need/want to be able to use after you are done.

Now, that being said, you can try to downgrade as others have suggested but by far, the best way is to wipe the system clean and start fresh, which requires an XP CD that is labeled for a new computer. Upgrade edition CDs rarely work for a clean install.

OK, if you are still with me and assuming that you have backed up whatever you want to save (I email stuff to myself so that I don't have to deal with making CDs or thumb drives), then here is what to do:

Once you have everything ready, boot into a command line and type the following:

fdisk

You will now be looking at a DOS type of screen that will prompt you for what to do. Since you will not be online during this part of the process, the basic idea is to delete your partitions from your HD. At least the primary partition needs to go and if you have others, those can as well, assuming that you have nothing on them that you need.

After that, you will need to make at least a new primary partition and you will have the option of making additional partitions at this time. How you set up your partitions is a matter of personal preference but below, I will give you some common configurations.

When you are done, you can install XP to your primary partition just like you were starting out with a brand new computer.

Now, three ways to repartition your HD:

Option 1: Make a single primary partition that fills the entire drive. You will end up with a single C: drive where you install everthing. Your CD drive will probably show up as the D: drive.

Option 2: Make a small primary partition and make the rest of the drive into a secondary partition. For XP, you really don't need more than 25GB for the operating system and all of the drivers that you need. Then you will be installing all other software on the secondary partition.

---> Important note, you will have to format each partition separately. You will also have a C: drive for your OS and a D: drive for everything else (your CD will show up as the E: drive. Many people like to do this as it tends to keep the OS isolated from other stuff. If they then mess up the secondary partition, it is usually easier to fix as the OS will probably (not always) be untouched by whatever went wrong.

Before I get to option 3, I will tell you that I am a linux guy myself. It is not as hard to do as you may have heard and for all the common tasks, you can do just fine. In fact, you don't even need to install it to “test drive” it. Just DL the current version of Ubuntu from ubuntu.com (version 9.10 at this date).

Pop the CD in the computer and restart. It will boot you into a full version of the product with all of the common options ready to use. You will have a full office suite (open office) and a web browser (firefox) along with many other useful programs. If you use the ubuntu studio version (requires a DVD due to the size of the product) you will also have a pretty full set of multimedia and graphics tools ready to go.

If you want to use Ubuntu as well then you will need to make some space on your hard drive for that as well. That can get complicated but here is the easiest way to do it:

Option 3: Assuming that you have a 500 GB hard drive here is what I would do.

Primary partition 25GB (install XP here)
Secondary partition 400 GB (other windows stuff goes here)
Leave the remaining 75 GB alone for now

When you have XP ready to go, boot from the Ubuntu CD/DVD and tell it to install in the free space. You should be good to go.

The complication that you will run into with more than one OS on your computer is that when you do that, you need a small program that runs before anything else to select which OS you will boot into. Now if you know what you are doing, you can set that up lots of ways but the easiest way for a linux noob to do that is the always install XP first.

The problem being that MS has this idea that MS is the only source in the whole world for any OS product. The windows installer will find all versions of windows and set that program up accordingly but it will ignore all non-MS products.

However, if you install MS first and linux last, the linux installer will find both (or all if you want to do an XP/Vista/Win7/linux setup) and give you every option that is possible.

Just try to reinstall it proper way and first configure a setting in BIOS else XP CD will not detect your hardisk

In BIOS:
Onboard Devices -> Flash Cache Module -> Set Off
Onboard Devices -> SATA Operation -> Set ATA

Status
Not open for further replies.