Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which is best dsPIC,AVR,ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

anandpv2009

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a question to this forum members....

On the basis of performance which processor is best.??

dsPIC or PIC32 / AVR / ARM

ARM Cortex M3 from philips (LPC1700,see also LPC1100 and LPC1300)

BEST to do WHAT? You need to be a little more specific with your question to get useful answers. If you are looking for a 6-pin device, go to the smallest PIC10 or the latest attiny. **broken link removed**
If you want to do image processing you might need to go to a 200 MHz or higher device and probably end up with a high end ARM given your selection.
So, what do you want to achieve, what kind of performance are you looking for, what peripherals do you need.
If you just want to know what would be best to get a job later if you know the architecture, my recommendation would also be to look at Cortex-M3
Many articles about COrtex-M3 based devices are here:
**broken link removed**

If you provide more information you can also get more specifics :)
hope this helps,

Bob

anandpv2009

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
bobsanjose said:
BEST to do WHAT? You need to be a little more specific with your question to get useful answers. If you are looking for a 6-pin device, go to the smallest PIC10 or the latest attiny. **broken link removed**
If you want to do image processing you might need to go to a 200 MHz or higher device and probably end up with a high end ARM given your selection.
So, what do you want to achieve, what kind of performance are you looking for, what peripherals do you need.
If you just want to know what would be best to get a job later if you know the architecture, my recommendation would also be to look at Cortex-M3
Many articles about COrtex-M3 based devices are here:
**broken link removed**

If you provide more information you can also get more specifics :)
hope this helps,

Bob

Sure,
But I want to know more about ARM
1. Whose ARM is best (NXP,atmel or other)
2. How can I program ARM controllers.
a. Programmer circuit.
b. Which compiler should I use.
3. Is there any additional things need for making ARM based circuits.

Thanks....

Hi,

For ARM Cortex M3 there is a new free IDE, compiler (using free GCC), debugger, programmer...
They also supply schematics, partlist... for Colink JTAG.

Take a look at www.coocox.com and see what u think.

What microprocessor/controller is the best depends on your needs.
They all have different areas that they have focused on.

The ARM Cortex M3 is a quite new core from ARM with a lot of features.
Check it out.

/Mateo

anandpv2009 said:
Sure,
But I want to know more about ARM
1. Whose ARM is best (NXP,atmel or other)
2. How can I program ARM controllers.
a. Programmer circuit.
b. Which compiler should I use.
3. Is there any additional things need for making ARM based circuits.

Thanks....

Sorry, I really missed this follow up.

Regarding your questions.
1. Which one is the best depends on your needs. NXP runs fastest, Atmel is the only one with USB2.0 HS, ST and Luminary (TI) have a wide portfolio and some very nice features for motor control the other do not have the same way, Luminary offers the largest SRAM, Analog devices the best ADC with an ARM7, Energy Micro the best solution if your system is battery operated and the most important feature is long battery life......
2. You program ARM controllers by creating your program with a compiler / linker often packaged in an IDE. Examples for such IDEs can be Keil uVision4, IAR Embedded Workbench, Raisonance RIDE7 and more for professional use while e.g. Yagarto is a free tool chain and often used by hobbyists.
Additional info and links to the sites can be found on http://www.lpc2000.com/tools/indextools.html
Which compiler you should use depends mostly on your budget and your requirement for time to market. For personal use I would probably use a GNU based compiler may be with a free IDE (e.g. Yagarto). For prodessional use I would use one of the Raisonance, Keil, IAR, Rowley... packages that offer personbla support if you get stranded. Efficieny for code creation is also a bit different and depends among other things on your application. Most compilers offer a trial version. Go, download them, check how easy they are to use for you and see what the compiled output is for afficiency.
How to get your program into the hardware depends again which ones you are using. For all of them you can use one or the other form of a JTAG adapter. Examples for these are ULink2, JLink, RLink, OpenOCD... (use Google with these terms). Some also have loaders that work with a UART, such as NXP and FlashMagic.

3. Additional things. I wold recommend training! One company offering training in Europe and the USA is Doulos. **broken link removed**
There are often training sessions from the MCU vendors, please check their websites. Doulos training is more targeted towards getting to know the architecture and the tools, the device manufacturers training has the target to explain the specific peripherals coming with their implementation. Both aspects are important for efficient work.
The other thing I would recommend, start with known to work hardware. Buy an evaluation board. You can do a lot with a system like the Primer2 from Raisonance / ST for a low price.

Sorry for the late reply, hope this still helps, if not so much for you, may be for others looking at this thread.

Cheers, Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.