Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

one hot ? or two hot state machines - explanation needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

noldsworth

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
one hot ? or two hot

Hello,

I usually do moore state machine at university. However during my internship, people are talking about one-hot and two hot statemachines. I was able to create one-hot statemachines from a template. However I don't understand what does "one-hot" mean. Can anyone shed some light please ?

Re: one hot ? or two hot

it is a concept where the the transition from present state to next state would happen with a one bit change of the state

ex:

00, 01, 10, and 11 are the states then the state transition shld be
00-->01 ---> 11 ---> 10 or such similar one bit change combination.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

regards,

Haneet

one hot ? or two hot

Yes. You're wrong. One hot mean only one bit it active at a time, i.e.
state 1 00001
state 2 00010
state 3 00100
state 4 01000
state 5 10000
etc.

One-hot state machines can be more fault tolerant & reduce the amount of next and decode logic. But us8ally they are larger.

One-hot encoded FSM typically requires more FF but less combinational logic than other types of FSM. In my 10-years of ASIC/FPGA design experience, I find one-hot encoded FSM to be most often used. The main reason is probably because your design can better meet timing due to less combinational logic.

By the way, I think you're confuse with the difference between moore/mealy and one-hot and other type of encoded FSM. Moore/meally is a type of FSM, where as, one-hot is a way to encode the states of a moore/meally FSM. So you can have a moore FSM with one-hot encoding, binary encoding, or other types of state encoding.

- Hung

One-hot state machines can be more fault tolerant

Only if you add a check on the number of ones set, I think.

What about the power of one-hot state encoded state macines?

Onehot simply means that only one bit of the states put together is high - meaning only one state is active.

Only one bit changing is gray code.

Does one hot state encoding reduce power consumption.................How?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back