Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VHDL assign statement error

Status
Not open for further replies.

karvin89

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
The following statement does not parse.

Code:
 RGB_OUT_local <= video_ram(conv_integer(conv_integer(vecHcount_640_60)+(176*conv_integer(vecVcount_640_60))))

when ((vecHcount_640_60 < 176) && (vecVcount_640_60 < 144)) else (others => '0');

I found that when I remove one of the conditions, it works.

Code:
 RGB_OUT_local <= video_ram(conv_integer(conv_integer(vecHcount_640_60)+(176*conv_integer(vecVcount_640_60))))

when (vecHcount_640_60 < 176)  else (others => '0');

But I need to check for both vecHcount_640_60 and vecVcount_640_60. Is there anyway I could do this? I am new to VHDL.

Regards,

Karthik

try this

Code:
if  (vecHcount_640_60 < 176) then
      if(vecVcount_640_60 < 144) then 
      end if;
else
      (others => '0'); 
end if;
let me know if it doesn't work

When writing VHDL, you should follow VHDL syntax and use VHDL operators...
&& isn't a VHDL defined operator. VHDL says AND.

I tried FvM's suggestion and used "AND" and it worked. I am new to VHDL and crossing over from Verilog.

I wonder if mo.khairy.mo's tip, will work outside the process () block. Its a 25 min compile so haven't tried it yet. But thanks anyway guys.

A VHDL quick reference clarifies, that it can't work.

To test syntax details, you don't need to compile a full design. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.