Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

designing a 4 bit counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

salma shabayek

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how do i design a 4 bit counter using d flip flops
thanks

I assume you want a synchronous counter - Use the D flip flop excitation table and draw up your circuit excitation table with your present and next states. Use Karnaugh maps to solve for your D value for each flip flop(4 in your case 'coz it's a 4-bit counter).
Here's a solution actually:
www.csci.csusb.edu/schubert/tutorials/csci310/f03/dw4bit.pdf

Thanks alot

But what if I am constrained with 4 flipflops and only 3 logic gates
Do you have any idea how this will work??
Will it contain some sort of special feature ?

Thanks alot again

What exactly are your design needs? The reason I ask is you can design a 4-bit asynchronous counter with just four D flip flops. If you have a requirement that states - count from (0000)b to (1100)b and not (1111)b, then you use NAND gates to asynchronously clear inputs of all flip flops once your counter reaches (1100)b. You could make a case for a similar asynch design which would use 4 FFs and 3 logic gates.

my only constraint is that the counter consists of 4 d flip flops and any 3 logic gates
I will try to implement it to count to 1100 as you told me
I hope it works
Thanks alot :)

Added after 45 minutes:

I am really sorry

but can a counter count only even numbers??

I am really sorry for the disturbance but I can't figure it out

Thanks

Yup, you can design a synchronous four bit even counter. Draw up your state table with your present and next states, use the D-flip flop excitation table and karnaugh maps and extract your D value for each of the flip flops and you have your even counter! I am not sure how many logic gates it will use though, maybe you can reduce it down to three gates...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back