Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Comparator and Schmitt Trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

calculus_cuthbert

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
comparator and schmitt trigger differences

Hi,

I am designing a CMOS comparator with hysteresis. I had a basic question. What is the difference between a Schmitt trigger circuit and a comparator with hysteresis? Are they the same? Could someone please help me out?

Also how do I decide on an architecture for a comparator with hysteresis?

Thank you.

op amp schmitt trigger

It is the same. Unless - A schmitt trigger could be designed otherwise too.

comparison between schmitt trigger & comparator

what do you mean by 'designed otherwise'? could you also suggest how to choose an architecture ?

It is the same.
Looking at real parts reveals important differences.

ST's are digital circuits with rather large threshold tolerances, consult e.g. a 74HC14 datasheet.

Comparators are analog parts with usually tight specifications. Hyteresis is in a few mV up to several 10 mV range. And they have differential inputs.

lets get clearity:
Comparator compairs two signals voltage /curent and gives logical output. no built in hysteresis, can be added by feedback elements. refrence is still available.
Schmitt trigger : has inbuilt hyterisis , the refrence is set inside by design.
finally opamp can be used as comparator, but not vis-a-versa. design an op-amp and use it like comarator is sign of bad designer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back