Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Links/tips about designing data loggers for temperature of -40 to 80

Status
Not open for further replies.

7rots51

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Any help on designing data loggers for example for temperature(-40 to 80).
ICs,SCH,low power ,battery ,RAM

Data logger

Hello RTOS51

This link can help you

h**p://www.rentron.com/four-channel-ad.htm

h**p://www.rentron.com/Volt-Meter.htm

Regards

Garfield :eek:

Reactions: varunme

varunme

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
i think it is not too difficult.for example,a temprature logger,you need a sensor,which can be a diode ,or a chip such as LM334.so you can get a temp-voltage signal,then you can conver the voltage signal to digital signal,use a AD converter.it is a good idea to use a cpu that can do that job.then you need a low power CPU,depends on what link power you use.if you use a big power supply such as a car battery,a cpu like 8251 is enough.if you use AAA size battery,you must use a low power cpu,such as TMS430 from TI(w*w.ti.com).the w*w.microchip.com also have good cpu for this design.then you need a memory to record the data,which can be a flash memory or a eeprom ,the size you can decide from the data you want to record.you can use a lcd to display the result ,if you can,design a sample keyboard ,can do many things.then do not forget a rs232 ,which can interface with your PC.if so ,you can get the data in your PC,then you can do a lot of things using the data in the PC platform.
can this help you?i hope so.

Maxim/Dallas do a logger that is exactly what you need. No interfacng from a micro. All youu need is a DS1615 chip (or similar in the raange) and a rs232 to ttl convertor. Do a simple program in visual basic and you can get temperature data. There is also a rtc on board, battery info. I built one with a lithium cell and it has been running for almost 3 years!

I have a routine that i wrote in visual basic that you can use to get the information off the device.
Other than that you can use a MCU and this same device or a descrete temperature IC. See microchips appnotes. There is a way to do a crude temperature measurement using the watchdog timer. I guess it all depends on the accuracy you are requiring.

Hope this helps.

Bagster :wink:

I agree with Bagster, Maxim/Dallas have a couple of good application notes that could help you. In particular look for there PC Printer Port Controls Data Logger app note, under there website "h**p://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/142" it does not require a MicroController and they are good about sampling you all the needed IC's.

does anyone have some good data logger software written with Picbasic-pro for use with a pic16f877 and a Ds1307 RTC?

This is a data looger software for looging temp data

Maybe it cann help u

Bye

bobi

7rots51

You will find here a good starting point:
hxxp://wxw.vermontficks.org/datalogd.htm

debutpic

Is there a chip for temp datalogger with 32000 point capacity or higher?

Hi
U can use DS1621 -55 to 125 or DS1820 as probe
With AVR ,8051 or PIC and external ram or EEPROM
you can make as much logging points as U need or
just send data to PC by 232,485 ....

data logger

thank a lot

Re: data logger

Hello, I made a datalogger for school. The shematic can you find on my website.

h**p://users.skynet.be/elektro/

Its designed for measuring 5 temperatures.
You should better use a linear voltage regulator for the power supply, you have a greater accuracy then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back