Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pen drive to pen drive transfer without a PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtaher13

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pendrive to pendrive transfer

Hi, i need some ideas on going about with this project...
I want to transfer the entire contents of one pen drive to another pen drive without the use of a PC, i have read about USB host controllers but still not clear with the idea... help required ???

pendrive transfer

AVR microcontrollers are available for that purpose...i mean they come with 2 usb ports...all u have to do is code them as you wish ...

pen drive to pen drive transfer without a pc

i m trying to do the same thing using pic24. possible?

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
data transfer between pen drive without pc

although this device sound like quite normal for our daily life(pen drive to common). but i think it involve too many thing, from OS, FAT32,NTFS,FAT,USB,...bla bla bla....many study and research needed :cry:
btw do you mind to give me yr msn? coz i doing same project, maybe we can share some information or idea.
thx.:D

mtaher13

V

transfer data from mobile to pendrive without os

Hello!

If it's only a copy (bit for bit) from one device to the other, you don't need
OS, you don't need FAT, NTFS, FAT32. You just have to wire the USB devices
to some kind of microcontroller and just repeat read and write block operations
between the 2 USB sticks.

Dora.

cyrus88 said:
although this device sound like quite normal for our daily life(pen drive to common). but i think it involve too many thing, from OS, FAT32,NTFS,FAT,USB,...bla bla bla....many study and research needed :cry:
btw do you mind to give me yr msn? coz i doing same project, maybe we can share some information or idea.
thx.:D

V

how is data transferred from pen drive to pc

but if i wan my device provide a simple UI for file selection, i need os right? because i have to display the file to LCD and let use select. am i right?

V

pendrive transfer without pc

I have seen some devices which allows a micro-controller to access a USB device via a micro-controllers SPI port. Even takes care of the file system. The devices are made by FTDI and the device is called Vinculum VNC1L. These are actually a microcontroller but the site has firmware that can be downloaded to perform the above function. Certainly much easier than trying to develop a USB host yourself.

mtaher13

V

which types of transfers do pen drives use

Hello!

No, you don't need an OS to display a file list.
Just access to the raw blocks can make it.

Beside this, the original question was about to copy the full contents of a
USB stick, not to select files. So in this case, you can do it with a very trivial
system.

Dora

cyrus88 said:
but if i wan my device provide a simple UI for file selection, i need os right? because i have to display the file to LCD and let use select. am i right?

V

transfer page file to pen drive

When discussing low-level data copy between USB memory devices, it's meaningful to think about data throughput, too. With todays xGByte devices, any solution below High Speed USB may be regarded inacceptable.

If you target to high speed USB copy, you won't most likely find a more economic solution than the MCopy device shown in the above link. Basically it's an ARM9/linux system with dedicated high speed USB host controller - and a state-of-the art mobile LCD display. See the hardware platform specification

V

pendrive transfer transfer

itaig said:
I have seen some devices which allows a micro-controller to access a USB device via a micro-controllers SPI port. Even takes care of the file system. The devices are made by FTDI and the device is called Vinculum VNC1L. These are actually a microcontroller but the site has firmware that can be downloaded to perform the above function. Certainly much easier than trying to develop a USB host yourself.

ya, this device is cool for this project, but still many thing have to concern.
btw one thing i wan to make sure is VNC1L is a USB controller or Microcontroller?

doraemon said:
Hello!

No, you don't need an OS to display a file list.
Just access to the raw blocks can make it.

Beside this, the original question was about to copy the full contents of a
USB stick, not to select files. So in this case, you can do it with a very trivial
system.

Dora

mind to explain more about this?or you have any tutorial link? because i am not very understand what you try to tell me,in my mind all is about OS ,i very confuse on how to access the file.thanks:D

FvM said:
When discussing low-level data copy between USB memory devices, it's meaningful to think about data throughput, too. With todays xGByte devices, any solution below High Speed USB may be regarded inacceptable.

If you target to high speed USB copy, you won't most likely find a more economic solution than the MCopy device shown in the above link. Basically it's an ARM9/linux system with dedicated high speed USB host controller - and a state-of-the art mobile LCD display. See the hardware platform specification
:|
few byte file copy is my first target.:D. will try to improve it after my first prototype.

V

pen drive to pen drive file transfer without pc

cyruss88 wrote:
ya, this device is cool for this project, but still many thing have to concern.
btw one thing i wan to make sure is VNC1L is a USB controller or Microcontroller?
The device is a USB host controller with a built in CPU for handling the USB protocol and depending on the firmware loaded it can handle the file system as well. Outside of the chip you can consider it just as an intelligent USB host controller. All you have to worry about is talking to the device to get a directory listing and reading/writing files, the VNC1L does the rest :D

Handling the USB protocol as well as low end file system management are complex pieces of software. You can customise the VNC1L with the appropriate firmware to take care of all of this.

Re: usb device host without pc

eltonjohn said:
what is the use for something like this?

Its just a hobby man

Added after 4 minutes:

mtaher13 said:
i found out today that this gadget is made by a company named UNICON, and the gadget is named "MCOPY" and its available for 109.9$... still any ideas of making something like that visit this link **broken link removed**

Thank you for ur valuable information. It would be great if u can provide me the circuit level details of the device. Can u tell me the processor used in it?

HELLO. even i am doing the same project. could anyone tell me that is it necessary to write device descriptors while dealing with at90usb128.what actually a firmware in this case does? could anyone guide me?????

hi guys.. just wana inquire on how to program this microcontroller.. does it need its own burner? if so, where can i get the burner? thanks guys..

Hey guys the said technology is in the hand of Indian Inventor and has registered more than 13+ 16 patents national and international on it.
visit him at
https://sites.google.com/a/brainchamber.net/drivo/

You can get more details of his firm at www.brainchamber.net

Added after 6 minutes:

raven_heart747 said:
hi guys.. just wana inquire on how to program this microcontroller.. does it need its own burner? if so, where can i get the burner? thanks guys..

Dear friend I am happy with your replay, the work is done with the simple configuration board for the microcontriller it is implemented by the Brain Chamber Technologies. Even I have tried on the same but my own patents filed in 2005 were cancelled by Patent office due to earlier registrations by Brain Chamber team.
The said Brain Chamber team has filed many patents on it.
Very Badluck.......

Added after 3 minutes:

PICUSB said:
HELLO. even i am doing the same project. could anyone tell me that is it necessary to write device descriptors while dealing with at90usb128.what actually a firmware in this case does? could anyone guide me?????

Dear friend I am happy with your replay, the work is done with the simple configuration board for the microcontriller it is implemented by the Brain Chamber Technologies. Even I have tried on the same but my own patents filed in 2005 were cancelled by Patent office due to earlier registrations by Brain Chamber team.
The said Brain Chamber team has filed many patents on it.
visit them at https://sites.google.com/a/brainchamber.net/drivo

Very Badluck.......

hello,
please mail me the synopsis or some information about this project
rgds
niket

hw is the progress on this project? i am doing a similar project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back