Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sound Recording App - where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie.wilson

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
recording app

Hey all, my first post here at edaboard.com, am really glad I found you all : )

The basics of my application are:

Creating multiple 'toys',
Each can Record a sound, store it, then play it back in a loop
Through user input (via buttons and potentiometers), the sound is edited (ie reverb, distortion etc).

The sound needs to be of a reasonable quality, so the hack jobs i've seen so far won't cut it. I've been playing around a lot with Arduino, but I don't believe that it is strong enough.

Basically I need to know where to start. Any thoughts?

audio record with dspic

First you'll need to determine what quality sound you need - the number of bits, and the sample rate. I've done applications where we used recorded audio for prompting in automotive entertainment applications, and 8-bit at 8HKz was adequate. I've also done appliccations for animal calls and used 12-bit at 16KHz.

As to the hardware, you'll need the following:
- Analog front-end and Analog-to-Digital converter to sample the sound and convert it to digital.
- A uController to read the A/D, monitor the user inputs, process the sound and ouput it. You'll probably need a DSP to handle the task of processing the sound. You may want to look at Microchips dsPIC processors (**broken link removed**). I've used these for similar audio processing applications
- Memory to stored the converted sound samples
- A Digital-to-Analog converter and aduio back-end to convert the modified digital sound to analog

arduino sound rec

Woah, so it sounds like it's possible, but I would have no idea what you just meant haha. Thanks heaps!

Do you know of any good starter tutorials on how to get going with this stuff? The arduino stuff I have been using is self contained and I didn't have to know much at all, I really need to learn the basics here.

Cheers :)

Sound Recording App

Microchip has a Starter kit available for their dsPIC processors that would be a good platform to start with - it's about $60. They also have a User's Guide for the kit on-line that you can download before buying. It includes an example of how to record and playback audio - a good starting point for your project. The page for this product is at:
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.