Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Old compaq laptop keyboard desires to be USB keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

gruntmonk

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
compaq old keyboard

Hey clever electronic people,

I have an old Compaq laptop keyboard, which I think would make a marvellous USB keyboard.
Trouble is I have very little idea of how to go about it. I've searched the web with little result.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/61201467@N00/sets/72157620333541863/
Check out the photos.

Anyone got any idea of how to deal with this issue?
I've got an electronic meter. I'm guessing the three strands on the right are power (live, neutral, and earth). How do I know which one is which?
What are the other strands?
How do I relate all those strands with a USB cable?
Am I being over-amibitious?

Any guidance (show me the door) would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Gruntmonk

old laptop keyboard to usb

My opinion is that you are in for a lot of work to make a USB interface for this keyboard. From your pictures, it appears that keyboard contains only a key matrix arranged in a number of rows and columns. That is why the ribbon cable has so many connections in it.

If this keyboard had an on-board controller, the job would have been easier. With an on-board controller there would have only been about five wires total.

Since laptop keyboards are connected by very short cables, the interface controller chips are located on the laptop motherboard. For desktop computers, the cable is longer and the number of wires in the cable are very limited. That is why desktop keyboards and internal controller chips.

If you really want to make this a USB keyboard, you will have to write microcode for a controller chip which will have a good amount of time. Your total cost will probably be at least twice the cost of a new USB keyboard.

gruntmonk

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
three strands on the right

Banjo, you're a star! :) Now I know what to do with it! It's been bugging me for the last 7 years.

All the best in your future projects. Again thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back