Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Series stubs using microstrip or stripline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yungman

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to make stripline

How can I design a matching circuit using microstrip series stub on a PCB?

I have been looking around and never understand what is a series stub. I understand design using smith chart, I just don't get the physical structure using stripline or microstrip.

Thanks

stripline stubs

Don't try to use a series stub matching network when working with microstrips. It is much easier to implement using shunt stubs instead. Physically it is just a piece of microstrip conductor at a 90° angle to the microstrip line.

series stub microstrip

As YoungEng said is better shunt stub .
Working frequency ?
Bandwith ?
Sustrate type ?

microwave stripline stub

Simple series stubs are not possible in microstrip or stripline, as you can make a series structure in the top trace, but not in the ground plane underneath.

Never the less, there are a number of series-like structures that can be used in stripline/microstrip. With some creativity, these can be included in matching structures. Look at Microwave Filters Impedance-Matching Networks, and Coupling Structures by Matthaei, Young, and Jones. On pages 219-228 there are a lot of depictions of such structures, although the models shown there are only accurate for TEM such as stripline, and not microstrip (which have εeven ≠εodd).

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:

stub series stripline

You can do a lot with a series stub. With a 90degree phase shift at a given impedance you can transform to nearly any impedance.
Here is a spreadsheet that will show you how to make them:
**broken link removed**

You can use it to make as many sections as you want. It only covers real impedances but you could tune it in your simulator for a complex match.[/url]

The formula for a single 90 degree line is simple and as follows:
ZT=(ZL*ZS)^0.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back