Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to describe pipeline circuits to VHDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

etherios

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
adding pipeline vhdl

I am having problem in describing pipeline circuits in VHDL could anyone plz help? I would rather appreciate an example, especially a pipeline adder or better a pipeline carry save array multiplier.

The simplest approach is to use the last versions of Synplify, which can automatically introduce pipeline in your design. So, your adder can be described as a process:
Ctmp1<=A+B;
process(clk)
begin
if rising_edge(clk) then
Ctmp2<=Ctmp1;
C<=Ctmp2;
end if;
end process;

If you select Pipeline option in Synplify, the intermediate pipeline register (Ctmp2) will be moved inside the adder design.

Ace-X.

Ok i understand. The problem is that when you want to describe an adder you have to add several latches in the input and other in the output which have a relation with the hierarcy of the bits. Example if you want to add 3 bits the you add 1 latche in the input of 0 bit and 3 latches in the output, for bit 1 you put 2 latches in the input and 2 latches in the output and so on. How can i do this?

Looks like we are talking about different stuff. You'd better give a look at this paper:
**broken link removed**

It contains well-defined description of pipelining and adder design with VHDL examples.

Ace-X.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back